Johanna Konta beats Karolina Pliskova to reach China Open quarter-finals
British No 1 Johanna Konta secured a place in the quarter-finals of the China Open with a rain-hit 6-1 3-6 7-6 (7-2) victory over Karolina Pliskova in Beijing.
Konta, aiming to force her way into contention for the WTA Finals in Singapore later this month, had moved into a 4-1 lead following an early break against the world No 6 before the players were taken off the Lotus Court.
The 25-year-old 11th seed, though, picked up where she had left off when back in action, breaking the Czech again before wrapping up the first set in just 27 minutes of action.
Pliskova, however, produced a recovery... read more
- 08:26 Europe's populist wave stalls as Macron storms into French runoff
- 08:26 MARKETS LIVE: London shares up 100 points after centrist Emmanuel...
- 08:26 Macron must win big now to have a chance of fulfilling pledges
- 08:26 GE17: No electronic voter registration for Northern Ireland
- 08:25 National Pet Month: Why dogs, their waggy tail and friendly woof...
- 08:25 Lloyds details steps to help boost business growth
- 08:24 NASA captures incredible image of Earth from 870 million miles away
- 08:24 Two young adults hospitalised after car found on its side in a field
- 08:23 Sergio Ramos complains about 'excessive' red card for tackle on...
- 08:23 Barcelona boss Luis Enrique reveals the special Lionel Messi tactic...
- 08:23 Harry Redknapp: This is what pleased me about Birmingham's defeat...
- 08:23 Pound Sterling Latest: Euro roller coaster ride as France election...
- 08:22 Named and shamed: Who's been in Derbyshire's courts?
- 08:22 Incredible images of Northern Lights captured by photographer in...
- 08:22 Man faked terror plot to get out of holiday with his girlfriend
- 08:21 TOWIE star Ferne McCann's boyfriend Arthur Collins Tasered by...
- 08:21 Jimmy Choo on the market amid strategic review
- 08:21 Union warns of impact of Brexit on workers' rights
- 08:21 Lawyers facing tribunal over claims of torture by UK troops
- 08:21 Royal seal of approval for steam engine restored after vandalism
- 08:21 Main road in Cumbria blocked by HGV
- 08:21 Rangers defender James Tavernier points the finger at Don Robertson...
- 08:21 Consultants preparing report on future of 4,000 council houses...
- 08:20 Afghan defence chiefs resign over deadly Taliban attack
- 08:19 Primary school forced to close after travellers arrive on land
- 08:19 Rat alert on duck pond near school
- 08:19 Live: Breaking news and travel from Coventry and Warwickshire on...
- 08:19 Man critical in hospital after being hit on the head by 'falling rock'
- 08:18 EXCLUSIVE: Tories rebel against ‘Ruth tax’ imposed on councillors
- 08:16 Great British banger to be celebrated in style at Cumbrian castle