Jermain Defoe still loves what he does as Sunderland's prolific goalscorer backs Wayne Rooney to come good: 'Age is irrelevant. People obviously forget what he’s done - it’s harsh'
There was a moment during training at Sunderland’s blustery Academy of Light this week when an attacking drill appeared to have run its course. As the loose ball was blown out of a crowded penalty area, one player gave chase. He recovered it, steadied himself and smashed left footed into the bottom corner. He then punched the bitter North Sea air.
‘You have to celebrate,’ says Jermain Defoe. ‘I just wish the cameras had been here so I could watch it back.’
It is evident during a morning’s observation on the touchline of the practice pitch that Defoe, at 34, still loves what he does. It... read more
- 13:09 Could THIS increase life expectancy for cystic fibrosis patients?...
- 13:09 Hospital care is worst at weekends: Patients are 15% more likely to...
- 13:10 Planned roadworks for Yorkshire for the week ahead
- 13:09 A contraceptive jab for men? Injection that lowers sperm count is...
- 13:09 Struggling to lose weight? Find a gym buddy: Friendly competition...
- 13:09 Will southern Spain become a DESERT? Experts predict global warming...
- 13:09 More than half of NHS mental health services fall below the...
- 13:09 Bags of talent at Hartlepool dance festival
- 13:09 Carer plans a heartwarming Hartlepool singalong
- 13:08 Homelessness bill would focus councils on prevention
- 13:08 Planned roadworks for Yorkshire for the week ahead
- 13:08 Seahouses pupils stand up to cancer
- 13:08 Further works on landslip-hit road
- 13:07 Warning over fake WhatsApp messages from Sainsbury’s and Topshop
- 13:07 GP swaps stethoscope for clarinet in European Doctors Orchestra
- 13:06 Has Sophie got the best job in the world?
- 13:05 Hartlepool man left partner bloody and beaten while baby slept...
- 13:05 SNP’s Paul Monaghan pays his brother Mark over 225 hours overtime
- 13:05 Memory match: PNE v Newcastle
- 13:04 Revised plans for controversial parking charges revealed
- 13:04 How dogs are really affected by fireworks – and what you can do to...
- 13:03 Dejan Lovren: This young star can be a top player for Liverpool
- 13:03 German watchdog to investigate February trades in Hugo Boss shares
- 13:02 309 registered sex offenders live in Scunthorpe
- 13:02 Stocks sag as bond 'bloodbath' shows no let up
- 13:02 Woman dies after car rolls onto its side during crash
- 13:02 Teenager 'found covered in blood' after Stratford Road knife attack
- 13:01 Court-free clickable bankruptcy 'removes stigma'
- 13:01 Attempted robbery at Ellesmere Port chemist by man believed to be...
- 13:00 Warning over fake WhatsApp messages from Sainsbury’s and Topshop