JEFF PRESTRIDGE: Companies must keep their promises on 'final salary' pension schemes
There is little doubt that low interest rates have helped keep the UK economy ticking along since the 2008 financial crisis. But savers have paid a heavy price.
Savings rates have been decimated – even more so since the Bank of England cut the base rate in August to 0.25 per cent. Indeed, if deputy governor Dame Nemat Shafik is to be believed, a further base rate reduction could come as early as next month if evidence emerges of a significant downturn in economic activity triggered by the Brexit vote. If so, savings rates will take another pummelling, bringing negative rates a step further... read more
- 15:04 Arrest in Northern Cricket League probe
- 15:04 Big support for school’s pool project
- 15:03 Whisky industry plea for assurances as exports rise
- 15:03 Cannabis farm found in Bootle was worth £400,000 a year
- 15:02 Boulmer car park will be closed temporarily
- 15:02 Sturgeon’s EU plans rejected over risk of UK trade barriers
- 15:02 Fashion designer launches business in town after move
- 15:02 Birmingham City LIVE: Harry Redknapp's press conference ahead of...
- 15:02 The Big Sleuth Bear Cub design Competition: Winner announced on...
- 15:01 What’s making Kim Jong Un giggle like an overgrown baby?
- 15:01 What TV channel is Manchester United vs Swansea on? Kick-off time,...
- 15:00 New Melton charity shop calls for volunteers ahead of opening
- 14:59 Journey planners making bus travel easier for visitors
- 14:58 Here are the Bank holiday weekend supermarket opening times in...
- 14:58 Avonvale offer free health checks for pets
- 14:57 ‘People are coming into our town and causing trouble’: Anger at...
- 14:57 Breast butcher guilty of 'completely unnecessary' operations to...
- 14:56 Court treated to rousing performance of Singin' In The Rain -...
- 14:56 Yasmin’s designs bring fashion to the world ...
- 14:55 Antonio Conte: Chelsea need to improve on this
- 14:55 Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko: How much do boxers weigh ahead...
- 14:55 Gloomy forecast for Bank Holiday weekend in the North East
- 14:54 Standardised cigarette packaging 'could increase quit attempts'
- 14:54 Barcelona Transfer News: Neymar tells friends this, midfielder...
- 14:54 Anthony Joshua weighs in 10lb heavier than Wladimir Klitschko ahead...
- 14:54 Antonio Conte: This is what I really think about Chelsea's youth...
- 14:53 Everything you need to know about Hebridan Way Walking Route
- 14:52 Council listens to residents over Holy Island plans
- 14:52 Sendings off are not unusual in Manchester derbies
- 14:52 Johnny Vegas to star in Blackpool comedy