Jean Cleary obituary
My friend and former colleague Jean Cleary, who has died aged 88, was a pioneering researcher into the treatment of children in hospital. Her work over four decades helped to switch the focus of care towards the needs of the child rather than the priorities of the medical profession.
In the 1960s she was one of the key researchers in the influential Children in Hospital team, led by the sociologist Margaret Stacey, at Swansea University. At the time the sole objective of admitting a child to hospital was to treat the illness; some children were separated from their parents, families,... read more
- 13:15 New Tesla Roadster price, range, top speed, performance, and specs...
- 13:14 Ribble Valley mother and daughter bomb survivors say thanks
- 13:15 Defrosting car windscreen tips - How to dodge £60 fine and stress...
- 13:15 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace review: Getting ahead in the SUV space race
- 13:14 Earth-sized planet discovered with 'mild' climate and peaceful...
- 13:16 Theatre review: Chrysalis festival, Traverse, Edinburgh
- 13:14 Driving examiners to stage 48-hour strike on day new test is launched
- 13:15 Tesla Roadster will go from 0-60mph in 1.9 seconds but it may get...
- 13:14 M65 idiot driver clocked doing 115 mph
- 13:15 Critchley to join up with Lions squad Down Under
- 13:14 Rotarians get planting for polio
- 13:15 Toyota recall - C-HR and Prius Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles recalled...
- 13:14 East Lancashire's most wanted
- 13:15 Driver WARNING: Terrorists hackers 'could kill MILLIONS' by...
- 13:14 Award after award for shining Chatburn carers
- 13:14 Ribble Valley farmers enjoy strong trade at auction
- 13:13 Pupils give food to homeless
- 13:13 The Civic Society column with David Winpenny
- 13:15 Budget 2017 - Higher car tax for diesels drivers to be announced...
- 13:14 Axeman on scooter attempted robbery at Burnley store
- 13:13 North Rigton C of E School
- 13:13 The Harrogate theatre column with David Brown
- 13:14 Police investigate fire in public toilets
- 13:13 Cheque of note for charity
- 13:14 Person feared trapped in house fire
- 13:13 Leeds and Bradford men arrested after quad bike police chase near...
- 13:13 'Lazy planning' for traveller sites on Knaresborough Green Belt
- 13:14 Appeal to find missing boys
- 13:14 Commuting time on the rise in the North West
- 13:13 First steps for Harrogate Town's major stadium upgrade