Jean Alexander, Coronation Street's Hilda Ogden, dies in hospital three days after 90th birthday
Coronation Street legend Jean Alexander has died in hospital just three days after her 90th birthday.
The woman known to millions as Britain’s best loved cleaner Hilda Ogden passed away peacefully early today, Friday.
The hugely popular actress played the part of feisty Hilda for 23 years, having started her career in Macclesfield, Oldham and Stockport.
She had been taken into hospital on Tuesday, the day of her birthday, after feeling unwell.
Her niece, Sonia Hearld, 64, told how she received a phone call from the hospital breaking the bad news.
“It is such a shock” she said.
She told the... read more
- 19:13 Revealed: The five cities with the fastest-growing rates of...
- 19:11 Breast cancer news: Living in illuminated towns & cities could...
- 19:11 North Korea war games: Britain to join US forces for military exercise
- 19:11 New protests in the pipeline over water supply
- 19:11 'Uneasy and distressed' - Barrow woman targeted by barrage of abuse
- 19:11 WW3 tensions: Washington takes military to North Korea border
- 19:11 Clearing placements at five-year high, early figures show
- 19:11 Usain Bolt won't play for Manchester United Legends vs Barcelona
- 19:10 New ultimate Audi earns A-star Plus
- 19:10 New eye test could spot Alzheimer's disease 20 YEARS before...
- 19:10 Aston Villa transfers: Ross McCormack tipped for Leeds return
- 19:10 This is how Birmingham City line up at Burton as Harry Redknapp...
- 19:10 Facebook is testing 'Featured Topic' tool for News Feed that will...
- 19:09 Coventry families wanted for new primetime TV quiz show - how to apply
- 19:09 More touching tributes paid to Oneil Din after Cornwall tragedy
- 19:09 Firefighters' warning: Arson attacks are stopping us dealing with...
- 19:09 Man freed after getting leg stuck under digger
- 19:09 Paintings, mirrors and furniture to go under the hammer at...
- 19:07 Increase in complaints about housing for soldiers in Scotland
- 19:06 Hathaway says: 'Pressure is all on Bromsgrove'
- 19:05 Celebrity Big Brother: Sarah Harding accused of BURNING DOWN CBB...
- 19:03 Stephen Hawking: I'm worried about the future of the NHS
- 19:03 A-levels delight for Lincoln area students - the talent of...
- 19:02 Paul Merson makes brutal prediction that returning Arsenal...
- 18:58 Ex-BBC reporter Liz MacKean dies after stroke
- 18:58 Alleged Newark murder victim named by police
- 18:58 Bus company say 'no evidence' to support mum's claims four-year-old...
- 18:58 "I had to stand naked in the street for 20 minutes after being...
- 18:58 Police appeal after man injured in armed robbery in Tamworth
- 18:56 Everton and Hajduk Split both charged by UEFA following crowd...