Jean Alexander, Coronation Street's Hilda Ogden, dies in hospital three days after 90th birthday
Coronation Street legend Jean Alexander has died in hospital just three days after her 90th birthday.
The woman known to millions as Britain’s best loved cleaner Hilda Ogden passed away peacefully early today, Friday.
The hugely popular actress played the part of feisty Hilda for 23 years, having started her career in Macclesfield, Oldham and Stockport.
She had been taken into hospital on Tuesday, the day of her birthday, after feeling unwell.
Her niece, Sonia Hearld, 64, told how she received a phone call from the hospital breaking the bad news.
“It is such a shock” she said.
She told the... read more
- 17:04 9 herbal gins you need to try
- 17:04 Can you tell the difference between high end and high street make-up?
- 17:04 Gambia unrest thwarts university research and conservation trip
- 17:04 Lads’ coach trip to Marbs hits the box
- 17:03 Prem rivals want Chelsea star: Four-year deal ready, player...
- 17:03 Mark Allen admits he needs to lose weight and stop eating takeaways
- 17:03 Deal off: Star man rejects move away from Middlesbrough: He wants...
- 17:02 Grimsby Town TRANSFER NEWS: Mariners SIGN Chris Clements from...
- 17:02 WATCH: From twerking builders to Scottish football fans: 10 most...
- 17:01 Dim thief whose attempts to steal a venetian blind from Northampton...
- 17:01 'I thought we were going to drop out of the sky': Passenger films...
- 17:01 Do you know this Corby man? He’s wanted on prison recall
- 17:01 Passenger plane loses control after landing and skids off the...
- 17:01 Trapped guests in doomed Italian hotel buried under snow had...
- 17:01 Watch how a tractor was destroyed by fire in Beeston
- 17:00 French right-wingers prefer anti-EU Le Pen to Thatcherite Fillon,...
- 17:00 Notts GCSE results up on last year
- 17:00 Port’s folk icon Alan back with latest album
- 17:00 South Derbyshire baby's 3,337-mile journey to America to save his...
- 16:57 Good luck seeing the sights! Shocking images taken from The Shard...
- 16:56 Moorside project backer Toshiba's shares plunge again
- 16:56 Driver arrested after elderly man hit and killed by car in Harborne
- 16:56 Tesco recall ready meal over allergy risk
- 16:55 Pep Guardiola has looked a bad loser at Manchester City, says...
- 16:55 Tesco recall ready meal over allergy risk
- 16:52 Woodhall Spa man faces child porn and attempted child sexual...
- 16:52 Police in Britain want to keep more of the loot they confiscate
- 16:52 Mexico makes new friends at Davos
- 16:51 Donald Trump will be ready from DAY ONE and has a 100 day...
- 16:51 UK builder Barratt says CFO has left with immediate effect