Jason McAteer speaks out about suffering with depression and contemplating suicide
Former Liverpool FC player Jason McAteer has opened up about how he suffered with a “bad bout of depression” when he retired from football and contemplated suicide while driving through the Mersey Tunnel.
The ex-Reds midfielder told Ryan Tubridy on last night’s The Late Late Show in Ireland, that he found the transition when he retired from professional football in 2007 difficult.
“It’s like a light switch the day you finish. You go home and there’s nothing there. You’re not going in the next day. Your friends are not there ... and it’s very, very difficult and… yeah… I suffered from a bad... read more
- 13:10 Find out if it is ever legally too hot to be at work
- 13:09 Make a donation to Melissa who is cycling in The Melton Pork Pie Pedal
- 13:09 Brexit one year on: What has happened in 12 months and what happens...
- 13:09 Stratford murderer loses bid to clear his name at Court of Appeal
- 13:09 Gambling addict who stole over £38,000 from Lincolnshire County...
- 13:08 Teenager with severe frostbite faced having his hands amputated...
- 13:08 Desk declutter save's life of TV producer: Glamorous 33-year-old...
- 13:08 Teenagers binge-drink because they hate their bodies - not because...
- 13:06 Man found dead at Rhyl hotel
- 13:06 Brexit: What is UK offering EU citizens?
- 13:06 Ireland could review cap on bank share sales - finance minister
- 13:06 McDonald's bring back the Big Tasty - but you don't have long to...
- 13:06 Sunderland to Newcastle bus service axed as changes announced to...
- 13:05 Council announces £900,000 blitz on South Kesteven ‘grot spots’
- 13:05 Moretonville Junior Football Club named best in the South of England
- 13:05 Wolston fraudster jailed after fleecing pensioner out of more than...
- 13:04 CCTV image released of man police would like to identify after...
- 13:04 Mayor urges people to get behind Liverpool Commonwealth Games bid
- 13:04 Missing man appeal made by police
- 13:03 Sheffield named 'banter capital of Britain'
- 13:03 Power cut hits over 1,000 Whitehaven properties
- 13:03 LETTER: Brexit - no half way house
- 13:03 Hotpoint urges people with same fridge-freezer model that started...
- 13:03 POLICE UPDATE: 'Suspicious' incident at Biddulph's Woodhouse...
- 13:03 Young woman fights for life after being hit by car near Leeds
- 13:03 Baby panda charms Japan
- 13:03 Policing in West Yorkshire: Why we can’t stop watching the detectives
- 13:03 Drugs police raid Lytham home
- 13:03 WHAT’S ON: Armed Forces Day Blackpool events and offers
- 13:02 ECB's Draghi tells EU leaders expects economy, wages to grow