Japanese scientist wins Nobel medicine prize for work on 'self-eating' cell mechanism
Japan's Yoshinori Ohsumi won the 2016 Nobel prize for medicine for ground-breaking experiments with yeast which exposed a key mechanism in the body's defenses where cells degrade and recycle their components.
Understanding the science behind the process, called "autophagy" or "self-eating", has led to a better understanding of diseases such as cancer, Parkinson's and type 2 diabetes, the prize committee said in its statement on Monday.
"Ohsumi's discoveries led to a new paradigm in our understanding of how the cell recycles its content," it said.
The Physiology... read more
- 06:32 Make the most of your extra hour
- 06:30 Derby County boss Gary Rowett's verdict on new signings Tom...
- 06:30 'Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up!' Fans send message to Derby...
- 06:29 Why we shouldn’t pity the ‘wronged’ woman
- 06:27 Darren McGarvey: Men must consider if they have been abusive in the...
- 06:27 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Tory MP Douglas Ross is running a fine line
- 06:24 Next-generation tanks will ditch ‘human senses’ for ‘algorithms and...
- 06:23 Cumbria Constabulary commended for crackdown on modern slavery and...
- 06:23 Dog involved in near-fatal mauling of Daventry woman's terrier has...
- 06:23 Half of Northamptonshire’s councils are paying generous mileage rates
- 06:23 Team GB athlete cuts ribbon at launch of Daventry sports academy...
- 06:22 FREE PRESS AND GUARDIAN/JERRY GREEN APPEAL: Why I’m ‘Doing It For...
- 06:22 Cocker spaniel Rudi crowned UK’s cutest pub dog
- 06:22 Ilona Amos: Our poor diet is killing us, so let’s talk veg
- 06:22 Grandma’s stories
- 06:21 Northumbria force area remains safe place to live – survey
- 06:21 Liverpool ready to make huge January move for world star as...
- 06:21 Fire-alarm reminder issued to residents
- 06:21 Arsenal News: Wilshere to get his shot, Giroud scoops Puskas, Pep...
- 06:21 Author leads charity walk at estate
- 06:21 Charity receives vital funds
- 06:21 Hospital trust falls short of targets - but is still well ahead of...
- 06:21 Harvest help for hospice
- 06:21 Jury out in £5m webside graud case
- 06:21 A lizard’s tail
- 06:19 Hartlepool’s hospital trust misses cancer waiting list target
- 06:19 Approval for next phase of Jacksons Landing proposals
- 06:19 Jury out in £5m webside graud case
- 06:19 These two school pals have been thanked for the way they tried to...
- 06:19 Hartlepool’s The Galleries cafe set to serve up birthday celebrations