Japan withholds UNESCO funding after Nanjing Massacre row

Japan withholds UNESCO funding after Nanjing Massacre row
 

Japan has withheld its 2016 funding for the UN heritage body UNESCO, Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida said on Friday, following its decision last year to include documents about the 1937 Nanjing Massacre in its "Memory of the World" programme.
He did not give a reason, but Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said on Thursday the UNESCO decision was problematic given conflicting views of Japan and China and that Tokyo might halt funding.
"We gave an explanation yesterday to a meeting of the Liberal Democratic Party on how payment of our contribution has yet to be made,"... read more

 
14 October 2016 in World News, Views: 34
Source: Reuters
Share:
  •  





    News Widget for Webmasters



    Bring Eugene's son back home immediately

    Realtime News

     

    «
    »
    Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
          1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31