Japan was 'more cosmopolitan' 1,000 years ago than thought: Ancient wood suggests a Persian official worked there
While Japan now welcomes over 10 million visitors every year, it has not always been so cosmopolitan.
But new evidence has surfaced, which suggests that ancient Japan may have been more multicultural than previously thought.
New testing on an artefact that was discovered decades ago suggests that a Persian official worked in the country's former capital, Nara, more than 1,000 years ago.
JAPAN'S CHANGING CAPITAL Traditionally, the home of the Emperor was considered the capital.
Nara was the capital of Japan from around 710 AD to around 784 AD.
From 794 to 1868, the Emperor lived in... read more
- 04:14 Chelsea join Man United and Barcelona in £26m winger battle
- 04:13 BOJ's Kuroda says there's no reason to withdraw monetary stimulus now
- 04:11 Man United deal ruined Real Madrid transfer plan: Chelsea could...
- 03:55 China accepts more Australian beef exporters as leaders meet
- 03:49 Liverpool firm up interest in Premier League star: Club will demand...
- 03:33 Angela Merkel 'confident' NO MORE countries will ditch the European...
- 03:31 Washington talks end without agreement on Israeli settlements
- 03:29 Judges to give ruling on woman's battle to divorce husband
- 03:29 Dame Hyacinth speaking...stage and screen stars up for honours
- 03:29 Police inspector found with £700,000 of drugs at home facing...
- 03:29 Marine who won Taliban murder conviction appeal to be sentenced
- 03:17 Nikkei rises as yen strength wanes but still poised for weekly loss
- 03:11 Sydney teenager pleads guilty to Anzac Day terror plot
- 03:04 China central bank to strengthen management of mortgage loan risks...
- 03:00 Poor behaviour 'not taken seriously enough in schools'
- 02:52 All-male White House health bill photo sparks anger
- 02:47 Nations urge Venezuela on elections, warn of diplomatic 'last resort'
- 02:28 Toshiba banks push for quick Westinghouse bankruptcy filing - Nikkei
- 02:28 Trump preparing orders to review trade deals, procurement - officials
- 02:26 YouTube's bid to grab TV dollars imperiled by advertiser revolt
- 02:24 Dollar, stocks edge up as US healthcare vote back on
- 02:24 Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 02:24 China is not militarising South China Sea, Premier Li says
- 02:20 Wakefield 28-24 Leigh: Trinity climb back into top eight of Super...
- 02:20 Kiss and confirm! Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus finally take their...
- 02:20 What's your secret, Sia? See singer's INCREDIBLE transformation in...
- 02:20 Love Island's Cara De La Hoyde turns her attention to her best...
- 02:20 Tallia Storm recycles fluorescent pink fur coat to showcase her...
- 02:20 Kim Kardashian and Kanye West arrive in casual style for self-help...
- 02:20 Gemma Arterton shows off her new elfin crop as she stuns in a boho...