Jailed radical preacher Anjem Choudary in appeal bid
Radical preacher Anjem Choudary is attempting to launch an appeal against his conviction for inviting support for the so-called Islamic State group.
Choudary was found guilty at the Old Bailey in August of backing IS in an oath of allegiance published online and was jailed for five-and-a-half years.
The Judicial Office has confirmed the 49-year-old has now applied for permission to challenge the verdict.
Police say Choudary's followers carried out attacks in the UK and abroad.
But they said they had been unable to act for many years as Choudary - a former solicitor and married father of... read more
- 10:03 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger to step down at end of season following...
- 10:03 Letters: Not just Windrush generation who fall foul of UK authorities
- 10:02 You can now enjoy a cannabis-infused afternoon tea
- 10:02 Plans approved to demolish the landmark Saltersgate Inn
- 10:02 Arsenal to CONFIRM Arsene Wenger exit? Tweet from journalist sends...
- 10:02 Lytham library plan launched by friends group
- 10:01 Jubilant times at Jubilee Park
- 10:00 Burton boxing legend Frazer Clarke set for homecoming celebrations...
- 09:58 Chorley couple celebrates 60 years of marriage - and welcomes five...
- 09:57 Sisters undergoing chemotherapy 11,000 miles apart launch ‘Feel the...
- 09:57 Significant increase in arsons across Leicestershire last year
- 09:57 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho sent Paul Pogba warning in worrying...
- 09:56 Search for family after Brighouse man, 65, dies
- 09:56 Windrush: Alan Johnson says landing cards decision was made in 2009
- 09:55 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:55 Scottish sports stars should 'safeguard lucrative deals'
- 09:55 In pictures: How Leeds made the most of the mini heatwave
- 09:55 Search for family after Brighouse man, 65, dies
- 09:54 Parking action plan developed for Berwick
- 09:54 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:54 The Queen wants Prince Charles to take over as Commonwealth head
- 09:54 Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable, poll finds
- 09:53 Egyptian Premier League moves fixtures so nation can watch Mohamed...
- 09:53 House extension destroyed in blaze
- 09:53 Investigation to begin today into cause of Peckleton explosion
- 09:53 Chris Coleman still in the dark but desperate to be big part of...
- 09:51 PREMIER LEAGUE & FA CUP PREVIEW: Heavyweight tie as Man Utd face...
- 09:51 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:50 Closure of Denstone Stores prompts concern older villagers could...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle digger blaze in South Cumbria