IVF cuts the risk of birth defects for mothers over 40: Chance of a major abnormality is less than half then for those conceived naturally
Women aged 40 or over are less likely to have babies with birth defects if they conceive by IVF, a study has found.
The risk of defects such as Down’s syndrome and cerebral palsy is greater when would-be mothers pass 40.
But research suggests IVF children born to these women have less than half the risk of major birth abnormalities than those conceived naturally.
The findings also showed they had fewer birth defects than the children of mothers aged under 29.
The authors said this ‘implies that a previously undescribed protective mechanism is in action, the details of which we can only... read more
- 07:15 What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Hull?
- 07:15 Cleethorpes Beer Festival proves a tasty day out - pictures
- 07:15 'We were fined at the Tesco St Stephen's car park'
- 07:15 Drone footage shows how the birds view Haile Sands Fort
- 07:15 Cocktail maker preparing to shake things up in Russia!
- 07:15 Crime hotspots: Latest figures reveal the top offences where you live
- 07:15 Revealed: Full cost of fly-tipping to taxpayers in Grimsby area...
- 07:13 Black Friday is back - when is this year's major sale event?
- 07:12 FARMING MATTERS: Self sufficient farmers wives
- 07:12 Lewis White and Adam Peaty are guests of honour as Derbyshire...
- 07:11 Councillor pledges to reverse any changes to taxi licensing if...
- 07:10 How Manchester United should line up vs Chelsea
- 07:10 How Man City should line up vs Southampton
- 07:10 With people out of work or suffering wage cuts this should be...
- 07:10 Blasts injure people in Japanese city
- 07:07 Big charity total raised by store staff
- 07:05 This test will determine just how much control your cat has over you
- 07:05 12 people on the quickest ways they’ve seen their friends mess up...
- 07:04 Opium crops spread in Afghanistan as Taliban gains ground, U.N. says
- 07:04 Ecuador’s Yasuni park: where oil vies with tourism for the rainforest
- 07:01 ScotRail goes from bad to worse despite promises from Abellio to...
- 06:57 Three quarters of parents think mobiles have negative effect on...
- 06:57 Migraine sufferers ‘should avoid processed meats and leafy greens’
- 06:57 BUSINESS EYE: Not our finest hour...
- 06:57 Center Parcs backs Tommy’s Super Sibling Award 2017
- 06:55 Lincolnshire Trading Standards warning over fireworks being...
- 06:42 Family of woman feared beaten to death in Israel smeared by Police...
- 06:47 Give A Pet A Home: Dogs at Animal Lifeline in need of homes
- 06:42 Police hunt murder suspects on the run with missing mum Farrah Fadli
- 06:47 Leek drink-driver broke neck after crashing in Ladderedge on way to...