Italy withdraws Rome 2024 Olympic Games bid
Italy's Olympic Committee has officially withdrawn its bid to stage the 2024 Games in Rome after the city council voted to oppose the candidacy.
Rome's Mayor Virginia Raggi from the populist Five Star party had said the city had to prioritise matters such as rubbish collection and corruption.
It means only Paris, Los Angeles and Budapest are left in the running after Boston and Hamburg also abandoned bids.
The IOC is due to make a decision next September.
Committee chief Giovanni Malago said the decision meant Italy had been "made to look like fools" and would miss out on... read more
- 17:43 Everything you need to know about a new school planned for Wearside
- 17:42 Recreating town’s hidden garden
- 17:42 European stocks post weekly gain as bounce in banks buoys markets
- 17:42 Masson Mill crash sees cyclist airlifted to hospital
- 17:41 Audi to buy back 25,000 diesel Q7 models in U.S. - Der Spiegel
- 17:40 Have you got what it takes to become a part-time firefighter in...
- 17:41 ECB's Nowotny thinks QE decision due in December
- 17:40 New school path will help get children walking
- 17:40 Historic England calls for action on tatty Nottingham shopping parades
- 17:40 Nottingham off-licence withdraws bid to sell booze until 6am
- 17:40 Lib Dem Denis Healy takes Tory seat in Beverley by-election victory
- 17:39 Jan Vertonghen insists 'I'd play five games a week' after being...
- 17:39 Barcelona star Luis Suarez writes off chances of winning the Ballon...
- 17:39 The Scunthorpe schools chief who cannot give interviews but says...
- 17:37 Terror on the East Marsh ...
- 17:37 Discussions 'ongoing' as Grimsby Town boss Paul Hurst remains...
- 17:37 Aberdeen hotelier apology for homophobic remarks
- 17:36 Snapped: Key man trains with Chelsea and is passed fit to face...
- 17:35 Lionel Messi cannot be stopped with any formula, concedes Valencia...
- 17:35 Brendan Rodgers refuses to blame Celtic defender Kolo Toure after...
- 17:35 Simon Mignolet hits the gym in bid to earn back place as Liverpool...
- 17:34 Rugby gets the walking football bug
- 17:33 Disgraced ex-Boro star Adam Johnson slashes price of luxury mansion
- 17:33 Fire at London City Airport forces hundreds of travellers to evacuate
- 17:30 Two arrested after dog buried alive with nail hammered through...
- 17:29 Chelsea vs Manchester United: Metro.co.uk’s big match preview
- 17:29 Could new deal encourage development to start at these Kirklees sites?
- 17:28 Slow start to Friday rush hour after crash on A15
- 17:28 ‘Your memory will live on’ – final farewell for soldier and rugby...
- 17:28 Adidas releases special edition Ashington trainer - but what is it...