Italy referendum: Matteo Renzi bets on Obama's blessing
There are three rules when it comes to getting involved in other countries' civil wars, and they apply to elections too.
First rule: don't get involved. Second rule: if you must get involved, pick a side. Third rule: make sure your side wins.
US President Barack Obama ran afoul of the rules when he supported David Cameron in the UK's EU Referendum in June. Mr Cameron lost.
The president is now taking his second bet of the year on a European ally. Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has called a constitutional referendum on 4 December.
"As you fight for this cause of reform, know that... read more
- 09:36 Man attacked near Sheffield massage parlour still 'critical'
- 09:36 Morecambe theatre to host zoo party
- 09:36 Could you take on the ninja obstacle course that is coming to Leeds?
- 09:35 What work can you do to your home without planning permission?
- 09:35 Morocco World Cup 2026 bid faces up to fresh scrutiny as FIFA send...
- 09:35 Britain braced to be drenched by April showers after spring heatwave
- 09:35 Carlo Ancelotti has 'secret meeting' with Italy as he closes in on...
- 09:35 Carbon monoxide poison warning after three people were hospitalised
- 09:35 Brighouse company teaches children importance of learning first aid
- 09:35 Michael Owen’s Champions League & Europa League predictions,...
- 09:33 Severe disruption to Northern train services after incident between...
- 09:32 Plans for new Premier Inn on Scarborough waterpark site revealed
- 09:32 Corbyn must expel antisemites, says Holocaust survivor
- 09:31 Watch: What work can you do to your home WITHOUT planning permission?
- 09:31 'Hipster salty sea dog': Jacinda Ardern defends partner 'Clarke...
- 09:30 Britain’s Most Wanted list: sexual crimes
- 09:30 Sheffield killer facing life for shooting is no stranger to prison
- 09:30 Expansion planned at prominent Carlisle factory
- 09:30 Thousands of men put their lives at risk in Cumbria
- 09:30 Latest news from Seahouses WI
- 09:29 Drug dealing gang sentenced to more than 50 years
- 09:29 First store to open at Sheffield's newest retail park this week
- 09:29 Identiy of SNP consultant who met Cambridge Analytica revealed
- 09:28 Atletico Madrid dealt huge injury blow for Arsenal clash
- 09:28 Arsene Wenger critics are ‘stupid’… he’s not the real reason...
- 09:27 Campaigning Northampton pensioner calls on council to set up day...
- 09:26 Police investigating death of man found inside Batley house
- 09:25 Leeds office site wins wellbeing prize
- 09:25 ‘Without the Leeds trauma centre, I wouldn’t be here today’
- 09:25 Power cut hits 60 South Yorkshire homes