Italy earthquake: Life after L'Aquila's heart was ripped out
Central Italy's devastating earthquake of 24 August will rumble on in the lives of survivors for many years - that is the all-too-painful lesson of the town of L'Aquila.
On 6 April 2009, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake killed 309 people, wrecking L'Aquila's medieval heart.
Every day a man leaves his flat in the suburb of Sant'Antonio and comes into the town centre to visit his old house, now a condemned building.
He brings food for his two cats and his dog, who have lived there since 2009. The quake made 58,000 people homeless.
The man cannot very well keep his pets at his small, newly-built... read more
- 09:50 Car crashes into house for the second time in a decade
- 09:50 Drinking session led to vicious attack on host in Stockton home
- 09:49 Football fan rides horse into pub
- 09:49 Top 10 things to do at the weekend in Lancashire
- 09:48 KT Tunstall rushed to hospital after swallowing chicken wing bone
- 09:47 Football fan rides horse into pub
- 09:46 Stamford man charged with raping teenager
- 09:46 Jose Mourinho speaks out about Wayne Rooney’s Man Utd future
- 09:45 Man taken to hospital after motorbikes crash in Bitterscote Drive,...
- 09:45 Entertainment world mourns Dad's Army creator Jimmy Perry
- 09:44 Syrian refugee kids among £1-an-hour workers making clothes for...
- 09:44 Make It Happen: Groups apply for help from grant scheme
- 09:43 Sean is left hungry after sanctions stop his benefits
- 09:42 Seoul court approves winding down of Hanjin Shipping's four...
- 09:42 Halloween events across Lancashire
- 09:42 European bank stocks recoup post-Brexit losses
- 09:42 Prisons in England and Wales 'need to improve rehabilitation rates'
- 09:42 Lauri Love: MPs sign letter asking President Obama to block...
- 09:41 Children give verdict on Dreamflight delight
- 09:40 Young man denies frail Warwick pensioner’s manslaughter
- 09:39 BOSTON SATURDAY LEAGUE: Results
- 09:38 US 'consternation' over Philippines' Duterte comments
- 09:38 Other classic dating profile photos we’d like to see banned
- 09:37 Top 10 things to do at the weekend in Lancashire
- 09:37 ‘I was still grieving and football came second. We are not robots’
- 09:36 Space themed fireworks spectacular to end the Alton Towers season
- 09:35 Sunderland Council’s £4.1million windfall from Newcastle Airport...
- 09:35 Arsenal fan SLAMS supporters for celebrating being top of Premier...
- 09:35 X Factor hopeful Sam hopes she's a big enough diva
- 09:35 You won’t believe what a Man Utd star was seen doing with a Chelsea...