It’s 202 years to the day since the London Beer Flood killed eight people
Exactly 202 years ago, today, eight people died after 1,470,000 litres of beer flooded the streets of London.
Bigamist ‘hanged himself after third wife discovered he was looking for a fourth’ The London Beer Flood, which took place on October 17 1814, saw a huge vat containing 610,000 litres rupture inside the Meux and Company Brewery on Tottenham Court Road.
And as if that wasn’t bad enough, the bursting vat caused a domino effect – meaning one by one the containers toppled, and the liquid gushed out onto the street.
The enormous wave of beer hit homes and caused two to... read more
- 09:44 "He needs to play" - Aston Villa transfer target ALLOWED to leave
- 09:44 Coach Trip is back - and it wants Brummie contestants for new series
- 09:44 Here comes Fionn! Weather warning as fresh storm heads to Blackpool
- 09:42 Rapper targeted in arson attacks over 'disrespectful' songs and...
- 09:42 Two arrested after knife attack at Carlisle takeaway
- 09:41 Drink-drive offender was spotted driving through a red light
- 09:40 Seth Rollins brings back the Curbstomp, Chris Jericho to return:...
- 09:40 Court listings 16/01/18
- 09:40 UK inflation rate falls slightly
- 09:40 New Notts partnership saves fraud victims £.25m
- 09:39 Watch what Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez could bring to Manchester...
- 09:38 We pay for the FENCE! May fires back at Macron over claims UK...
- 09:38 Documentary to turn spotlight on ‘mate crime’
- 09:38 Thug threatened to bite and spit at police while claiming he was...
- 09:37 Top Kosovo Serb politician Oliver Ivanovic shot dead
- 09:37 Thief disturbed during burglary at Wellingborough house
- 09:37 Chorley Court Listings - Tuesday January 16 2018
- 09:36 Harrogate MP Andrew Jones on new business role within government
- 09:36 PTSG’s results are set to be in line with board’s expectations
- 09:36 F1 logo could land authorities in LEGAL battle over copyright issue
- 09:36 Fresh Alexis Sanchez twist: Chelsea accept Man Utd will complete deal
- 09:36 NHS will actually get more than £350,000,000 a week after Brexit,...
- 09:35 Ancient buried village discovered in Derby field
- 09:35 Manchester United stars Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Romelu Lukaku...
- 09:35 OPINION: Most fans trust Gary Rowett so much he could sign the...
- 09:35 Hundreds turn out to remember former JMU student and six-month old...
- 09:35 VIDEO: Maryport Junior School celebrates Ofsted success
- 09:34 REVEALED: How these Northampton food shops ended 2017 with a "zero"...
- 09:34 New Notts partnership saves fraud victims £.25m
- 09:34 Andrew Jones MP: "I was pleased to accept" new role in government