It’s 202 years to the day since the London Beer Flood killed eight people
Exactly 202 years ago, today, eight people died after 1,470,000 litres of beer flooded the streets of London.
Bigamist ‘hanged himself after third wife discovered he was looking for a fourth’ The London Beer Flood, which took place on October 17 1814, saw a huge vat containing 610,000 litres rupture inside the Meux and Company Brewery on Tottenham Court Road.
And as if that wasn’t bad enough, the bursting vat caused a domino effect – meaning one by one the containers toppled, and the liquid gushed out onto the street.
The enormous wave of beer hit homes and caused two to... read more
- 11:59 Look inside this six-bed house for sale on Nottingham's...
- 11:58 Storm Doris to bring damaging winds and heavy rain to Grimsby area
- 11:58 France joins the party as euro zone economic outlook shines
- 11:58 WEATHER WARNING: Winds of up to 60mph to batter North West
- 11:57 Sheffield College students stage Shakespeare inspired show
- 11:56 Missing Warwick man found safe
- 11:55 Byron Sixth Form College into national F1 Schools competition final
- 11:55 Tributes left to Sunderland fan who died in cycling tragedy
- 11:55 Manchester United players and Jose Mourinho in positive mood ahead...
- 11:54 Labour to host vigil for Louth Hospital and NHS
- 11:54 SS-GB: BBC to 'look at' sound levels after complaints
- 11:53 Toyota tease futuristic electric city car concept that'll be...
- 11:53 BMW reveals new flying motorcycle and you'll never believe what...
- 11:53 Manchester United v St-Etienne: Jose Mourinho receives injury boost
- 11:53 Wrexham teenagers arrested on suspicion of robbery
- 11:53 The Lords has "lost its honour" - is it time for them to go?
- 11:53 EU banking watchdog revises new payments rules
- 11:53 As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations
- 11:52 Man suffers burns to face and head in car fire
- 11:52 BREAKING: Jacob Benet Cook pleads guilty to child sex offences
- 11:52 Wayne Rooney returns to training ahead of Manchester United’s EFL...
- 11:51 Why Sutton's 23-stone goalkeeper Wayne Shaw might regret eating a...
- 11:51 Is your Wirral bus route at risk of being scrapped?
- 11:50 This Man United star is the same as Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez - Tony...
- 11:50 Mario Gotze to Liverpool: Pundit questions Jurgen Klopp’s pursuit...
- 11:50 Lincolnshire doctor's surgery placed in special measures
- 11:50 Heterosexual couple lose latest civil partnership battle
- 11:48 Completion date finally set for £58m South Yorkshire tram-train...
- 11:48 German employers criticise SPD plan to wind back labour reforms
- 11:48 The Kaiser Chiefs are coming to Market Rasen