It helped Carola lose almost 100lb, but is this bizarre weight loss op a step too far? Expert describes the device as ‘bulimia by surgery’
Three times a day, after each meal, Carola Karlsson takes herself off to the nearest bathroom to dispose of a third of what she has just eaten to control her weight.
To all intents, Carola is making herself sick.
But the crucial difference between this 43-year-old nursery nurse and someone with bulimia is that Carola ‘purges’ a specific amount via a surgically fitted medical device that drains food directly out of her stomach.
Carola, who is 5ft 4in, weighed 19st before she had the device fitted two years ago. Within nine months, she had lost an astonishing 8st.
‘I’ve been trying to lose... read more
- 11:58 University ‘tech’ team is officially best in the world
- 11:58 Coastguard called to reports of trio swept out to sea
- 11:58 Support stars sign up for Will Smith festival fun
- 11:58 Check out the rubbish left behind by travellers at Oakwood
- 11:58 Probe begins into flats fire
- 11:57 Student champions sports week
- 11:56 Viewers applaud Milly Dowler’s ‘brave’ sister as she releases this...
- 11:56 'Broadchurch' beach: West Bay cliff fall blocks coast path
- 11:56 Barcelona announce friendly with Chapecoense… eight months after...
- 11:56 Grenfell public inquiry: What is a public inquiry and what happens...
- 11:56 Police probing Black E brawl ask 'do you know these men'
- 11:56 Arsenal consider move for Leicester ace Riyad Mahrez after...
- 11:56 Lions team v New Zealand: Jonny Wilkinson assesses Warren Gatland’s...
- 11:56 Bogus callers claimed to be police officers and a window cleaner in...
- 11:55 NEW island emerges in same waters as Bermuda Triangle - but...
- 11:54 Funding celebrations for Maltings theatre
- 11:54 Dugdale leads tributes to Labour council stalwart
- 11:54 Police ask people who have used three firms to contact them after...
- 11:54 Peter Rabbit sculpture returns to Snugburys Ice Cream in Nantwich
- 11:54 Heartbreaking picture of boy in dad’s arms moments before he died...
- 11:54 Bridge over Coast Road to be demolished this weekend
- 11:53 Horncastle woman pleads not guilty to child abduction
- 11:53 SE Asia Stocks-Most rise; Singapore hits over one-month closing high
- 11:53 Russian military hits back over Fallon's jibe
- 11:53 New CET boss to 'double the size of the business'
- 11:52 Bodybuilder who claimed compensation over holiday food poisoning...
- 11:52 Concern over £5.5 billion contract to provide NHS services in the...
- 11:52 Jose Mourinho's transfer policy hints at his long-term plans at...
- 11:51 Liverpool and Tottenham contact Monaco about Thomas Lemar deal
- 11:51 Trainspotting director and Olympics artistic director Danny Boyle...