Israel unveils Bronze Age 'Thinker' figurine
A small figurine, almost 4,000 years old and sitting in a pensive pose, has been unveiled in Israel.
The Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) said that the thoughtful, hat-wearing figure was discovered in recent excavations in Yehud, east of Tel Aviv.
The ornament topped a jug in the Middle Bronze Age and was found in a grave.
The Times of Israel compared the figure's head-in-hands pose to The Thinker, the famous work by French sculptor Auguste Rodin.
Yet at just 18cm (7in) tall, the Israeli discovery comes in 10 times smaller than Rodin's famous bronze from the turn of the 20th Century.
The... read more
- 13:43 Angelina Jolie almost starred in WHICH sexy teenage 1990s horror...
- 13:42 Graham Gooch predicts ‘tough’ Ashes campaign for England captain...
- 13:42 Ryanair BEGS pilots to join airline with 20 per cent pay rise and...
- 13:42 Nativity! The Musical set for world premiere - but it's in...
- 13:41 Serena Williams may not play Australian Open, Maria Sharapova can...
- 13:40 Festival No 6 reveals first headline act for 2018
- 13:39 Jim White breaks his Celtic scarf vow and fans aren't happy about it
- 13:39 Hollywood stars descend on Ellesmere Port for new movie
- 13:38 North Lincolnshire health chief set to step down
- 13:38 Cathedral organist to end concert season
- 13:38 Sparks will fly!
- 13:38 City boxer jailed over break ins at home of ex and her new partner
- 13:38 Buxton mountain rescue stalwarts honoured for long service
- 13:37 Gazza, Coutinho and Lukaku - 10 huge names Aston Villa tried to sign
- 13:37 Meet more of Liverpool's hairiest babies
- 13:37 Coleen Rooney goes on holiday number seven - 'without Wayne'
- 13:37 Woman found dead at house in Kirkby - updates
- 13:37 Meet the medic starring in new series of hit BBC TV show Junior...
- 13:36 Game of Thrones star Kit Harington proud to claim Gunpowder drama...
- 13:36 Hare coursers sighted in South Holland
- 13:35 Watch spectacular shooting stars as Earth passes through Halley's...
- 13:35 Chelsea news: Cesar Azpilicueta reveals Blues’ morale is at rock...
- 13:35 Real Madrid news: Karim Benzema’s agent issues Arsenal transfer...
- 13:34 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:34 Could pole dancing soon become an Olympic sport?
- 13:34 Winds of 70mph predicted as Storm Brian expected to sweep in this...
- 13:33 What happens when we die? Study says we might still know what's...
- 13:33 Flying Scotsman investigation at Nene Valley Railway
- 13:33 Employment gap closes in on East Midlands
- 13:33 Norovirus sufferers 'should avoid preparing food for two days'