Is this a cure for Alzheimer's? Gene therapy could help to prevent brain-clogging plaques from forming
Alzheimer's disease could be stopped by gene therapy, scientists discovered.
Inserting a gene may prevent the formation of clumps of protein which are found in the brains of dementia sufferers, experts believe.
The plaques - built up of amyloid-beta peptide - are thought to trigger the death of brain cells.
But the PGC-1-alpha gene helped to prevent the lumps of protein and kept mice with a healthy brain, a new study found.
It is involved in metabolic processes in the body, including the regulation of sugar and fat.
Experts hope the findings may lead to new treatment for dementia for... read more
- 16:29 Charity walk raises £10k
- 16:29 Richard Owen: Rugby league player found not guilty of sex offences...
- 16:29 Man on sex offenders’ register to be sentenced after breaching order
- 16:29 Police reassure public as threat level is increased to critical
- 16:29 NOSTALGIA: Council carve 2007
- 16:28 Deadline approaches for names in major Yorkshire tourism awards
- 16:28 England's Big Picture: 22 - 28 May
- 16:28 Boots of Nottingham opens 'historic' digital archive
- 16:28 Carrick-a-Rede bridge closed after 'vandals cut rope'
- 16:28 Conservatives report most donations in first part of year
- 16:28 Decorated Normandy war veteran Eric Gower given emotional military...
- 16:28 Councillors decide McDonald's near Laceby will NOT be allowed to...
- 16:28 OECD says 'basic income' reform would need more taxes
- 16:27 All you need to know about the meaning of critical terror threat
- 16:27 Police officer killed in Manchester terror attack reported to be...
- 16:27 Zlatan Ibrahimovic derby strike for Manchester United the most...
- 16:27 Middlesbrough confirm goalkeeper Victor Valdes has left the club as...
- 16:27 One last fundraising push for new Chesterfield cancer centre
- 16:27 Schools' support for pupils dealing with aftermath of Manchester...
- 16:27 TV star takes on sweet challenge
- 16:27 Blackpool business expo set for return
- 16:26 Police reassure public as threat level is increased to critical
- 16:25 Does London really subsidise the UK?
- 16:25 Continental 24: Bentley's Nurburgring homage
- 16:25 Activists step up protest against logging in ancient Polish forest
- 16:25 Sam Warburton warms up with reaction ball in British and Irish...
- 16:25 Danny Welbeck hopes FA Cup final victory over Chelsea can lift...
- 16:25 Cesar Azpilicueta and Ben Gibson lead five-man Premier League...
- 16:25 Arsenal skipper Per Mertesacker admits he 'cannot tell' if he will...
- 16:25 ‘Army may be on the seen on streets of Calderdale’