Is the worldwide web a waste of water?
Researchers at Imperial College London made headlines last year when they claimed that up to 200 litres of water could be involved in the download of a single gigabyte (GB) of data.
It's a shocking statistic - especially when you consider that in 2015 alone the average western European smartphone user got through 1.9GB of data per month per person - rising to 3.7GB per month in the US according to a report by Ericsson.
That's an awful lot of water.
Whenever you check social media, send an email, or stream a video, you will be receiving and exchanging data with a data centre somewhere in the... read more
- 11:32 Water shock! River clean-up nets a big haul
- 11:32 Organisers hoping for big turn-out at Xmas Market
- 11:30 BREAKING: Explosion tears through China leaving many feared dead
- 11:29 Stowaway migrants found crushed under trucks in Austria
- 11:29 Manchester City vs Chelsea, Premier League LIVE: Follow all the...
- 11:29 Yobs wreck blood biker’s Triumph Tiger
- 11:27 Key man exit may pave way for Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard to...
- 11:27 Jamie Carragher: This Liverpool ace has to be realistic about his...
- 11:27 Manchester City v Chelsea: LIVE Premier League scores and updates...
- 11:24 Stourbridge FC count down clock to huge FA Cup clash
- 11:20 Retirement village gets in the festive spirit
- 11:20 Conor McGregor insists Floyd Mayweather called him first saying...
- 11:19 Drivers warned about thieves using key lock jammers at M-way services
- 11:19 Nazi PoW leaves £400,000 to 'kind' Scottish village
- 11:19 Mother jailed for beating up daughter, 17, when she caught her...
- 11:19 Plucky turkey won’t be caught for Christmas
- 11:18 Sponsor supports club’s league goals
- 11:18 Planned roadworks on A1 and A19 in Northumberland and North Tyneside
- 11:18 Man taken to hospital after car hits tree
- 11:17 China's Xi says military must be smaller, but more capable
- 11:16 Dry January: 7 things you realise when you give up the booze
- 11:15 Louis van Gaal is much stricter than Jose Mourinho, says Manchester...
- 11:15 Video: Full route for 2017 Tour de Yorkshire cycle race
- 11:10 ‘It was worth the 6,000 miles to get a free beer’
- 11:10 East Midlands Trains fares to rise in the new year - but less than...
- 11:10 Open auditions for Britain’s Got Talent in Lincolnshire
- 11:08 Russia's Lavrov says difficult to solve peace treaty issue with Japan
- 11:08 Watch: Make the perfect gingerbread house this Christmas
- 11:08 Hollywood actor Steve Martin in middle of fallout from Nottingham...
- 11:06 Bishop Grosseteste University graduates are more likely to get a...