Is SOIL driving the spread of 'zombie deer disease'? Researchers discover cases drop in areas with higher clay concentration
Certain soil characteristics might be behind the rise in the number of deer with chronic wasting disease (CWD), also known as 'zombie deer disease,' according to a new study.
Research from the University of Illinois College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences has found that the the amount of clay found in soil affects the spread of the disease, which is in the same category as mad cow disease.
The study found an association with high amounts of clay in soil and a drop in the number of CWD cases noted in a particular area.
If a deer that has CWD urinates or salivates in a... read more
- 15:42 A guide to nudist beaches in North Wales
- 15:40 Land Rovers put through their paces on muddy Grantham course
- 15:40 Papa John’s is selling a ‘cheeseburger pizza’
- 15:40 Annabel’s new role in BBC drama The Split
- 15:40 Express in New York for a 30th to remember
- 15:40 Students’ hopes to topple Yorkshire’s highest peaks
- 15:40 Pit banner parade to return after 30 years
- 15:40 Housebuilder gives baby unit a £1k donation
- 15:39 London Marathon's long love of fancy dress
- 15:39 Flood issues raised after heavy rainfall
- 15:39 Ballot open for action over Wigan hospital staff firm move
- 15:38 Dog festival at Prestwich's Heaton Park in aid of children's hospice
- 15:37 Prince Charles approved as next head of the Commonwealth
- 15:37 Mum who stabbed five-year-old son to death given indefinite...
- 15:37 Housebuilder gives baby unit a £1k donation
- 15:35 Motorbike rider in 'serious but stable' condition after A171 crash
- 15:35 Wells Fargo to pay $1bn in largest fine levied against a bank under...
- 15:35 Crafty pupils stub out cigarette litter
- 15:34 Pit banner parade to return after 30 years
- 15:34 Is it legal to smoke weed on 420?
- 15:33 Have you seen this missing Kettering man?
- 15:33 Vandals burn sundial with BBQ coals and smash bottles at Markfield...
- 15:33 Number of house fires in Northamptonshire drops
- 15:33 Sporting great Frank Bruno MBE special guest at Staverton fundraiser
- 15:30 Snow set to replace sizzling spring heatwave next week
- 15:29 Roadworks on the A1031 and A16 next week
- 15:29 Historic Burnley building to be transformed through ambitious project
- 15:28 Salisbury asks Banksy to brighten barriers at contaminated sites
- 15:28 The best keg deals on Strongbow Dark Fruits, Heineken and Budvar
- 15:28 Wallets at the ready! Join our tour of the UK's greatest record shops