Is social media behind a surge in self harm? Young women showing signs of depression rises by HALF in 20 years
Social media could be to blame for an 'alarming rise' in women suffering with anxiety and depression.
Experts say more than a quarter of young women, aged 16 to 24, are suffering worrying symptoms.
This is more than three times the rate for men the same age.
Between a fifth and a quarter of young women have also self-harmed - most commonly cutting themselves - compared to just 10 per cent of men the same age.
The figures, contained in a new report published by NHS Digital, found the rate at which young women are experiencing common mental health disorder symptoms (CMD) is increasing... read more
- 09:57 Sturgeon to make statement on indyref2
- 09:56 Calls for cigarette-style warnings on sugary food to tackle...
- 09:56 Huge explosion and flames in area popular with Somali pirates
- 09:56 Unstable EU on the brink as inequality threatens to tear bloc...
- 09:56 FTSE stalls, Carpetright and Debenhams put UK consumer in spotlight
- 09:56 Where and when was the first ATM, what does it stand for and who...
- 09:56 Garstang school’s dance-a-thon to raise cash to fight child cruelty
- 09:55 Firefighters tackle north east Derbyshire house blaze
- 09:55 Melton has fifth highest first test pass rate for learner drivers...
- 09:55 Doncaster Big Brother star faces boot again as ALL contestants put...
- 09:55 ‘Hole in the wall’ proving cash is still king on 50th birthday
- 09:54 Haverthwaite-based firm's MD to be made MBE
- 09:53 Warwick Rotary Club’s Thai Festival to return for 13th year
- 09:53 Executives urged to tap into the power of mindfulness
- 09:53 Arsenal face Besiktas competition for transfer of Barcelona’s...
- 09:52 Warwick Rotary Club’s Thai Festival to return for 13th year
- 09:52 Shoppers warned over Tesco voucher Facebook page tricking thousands...
- 09:52 FTSE stalls, Carpetright and Debenhams put UK consumer in spotlight
- 09:51 POUND LIVE: Pound pauses after DUP deal ahead of Queen's Speech vote
- 09:51 ‘Hole in the wall’ proving cash is still king on 50th birthday
- 09:50 COMMENT: 900m reasons why we must stick with devolution in...
- 09:50 Return in sight for PNE’s Woods after full season out
- 09:50 Resurgent interest in Victoria Quays
- 09:50 England coaches are good enough – Simpson
- 09:50 Manchester United set to complete Ethan Galbraith signing this weekend
- 09:50 Hull given £15m by Heritage Lottery to secure its future in tourism
- 09:49 Charlotte Church reveals she has lost her unborn baby
- 09:49 Future of key buildings in Wellingborough to be discussed by...
- 09:49 Cash and jewellery stolen in Kettering burglary
- 09:48 Man sprayed CS gas into eyes of Cumbrian police officer trying to...