Is social media behind a surge in self harm? Young women showing signs of depression rises by HALF in 20 years
Social media could be to blame for an 'alarming rise' in women suffering with anxiety and depression.
Experts say more than a quarter of young women, aged 16 to 24, are suffering worrying symptoms.
This is more than three times the rate for men the same age.
Between a fifth and a quarter of young women have also self-harmed - most commonly cutting themselves - compared to just 10 per cent of men the same age.
The figures, contained in a new report published by NHS Digital, found the rate at which young women are experiencing common mental health disorder symptoms (CMD) is increasing... read more
- 00:22 Lukas Podolski insists his fairytale ending for Germany was 'like...
- 00:22 Thomas Muller admits Lukas Podolski's fairytale farewell game for...
- 00:22 One in four waiting for an inheritance before they can buy a house
- 00:22 Yorkshire ‘postcode lottery’ means patients must get fatter to have...
- 00:21 Derby firm EightPixelsSquare hoping to score a success with new...
- 00:21 London terrorist attack - Derby man waits for news of his friends...
- 00:20 Germany says its current account surplus will shrink in coming years
- 00:19 Moderate drinkers less likely to suffer from heart problems,...
- 00:19 'Super-obesity' required factor in some cases before weight loss...
- 00:18 Headingley experts set to offer advice
- 00:18 Report reveals NHS failing Down’s syndrome patients
- 00:18 Sarra Hoy becomes premature birth charity ambassador
- 00:16 Triumphs of science fiction’s collective imagination
- 00:16 Much to admire in diva’s biodrama
- 00:16 A Woolf at the door of greatness
- 00:16 Rugby Union: NZ opts out of playing England in November
- 00:16 Bronze confident of beating Fortuna
- 00:16 ILO extends probe into labour laws
- 00:16 Rehabilitating George Bush and Tony Blair
- 00:16 ‘I don’t want no peace, I want rights and justice’
- 00:16 Did Orwell steal from a communist artist?
- 00:16 Labour forces another U-turn
- 00:16 Sudoku 3703 hard
- 00:16 Turkey, al-Qaida and the US all launch fresh offensives
- 00:16 Eurozone chief faces fury over insults
- 00:16 Venezuela: US diplomats ‘seek anti-Maduro allies’
- 00:16 Bosses told to give back job to abused nurse
- 00:16 State pension age could be raised to 70, says report
- 00:16 Teachers from NUT and ATL form super-union
- 00:16 Westminster in Lockdown