Is social media behind a surge in self harm? Young women showing signs of depression rises by HALF in 20 years
Social media could be to blame for an 'alarming rise' in women suffering with anxiety and depression.
Experts say more than a quarter of young women, aged 16 to 24, are suffering worrying symptoms.
This is more than three times the rate for men the same age.
Between a fifth and a quarter of young women have also self-harmed - most commonly cutting themselves - compared to just 10 per cent of men the same age.
The figures, contained in a new report published by NHS Digital, found the rate at which young women are experiencing common mental health disorder symptoms (CMD) is increasing... read more
- 02:21 City homes 'least affordable since 2009'
- 02:12 Boris Johnson to visit Egypt for talks with president
- 02:07 ADM brokerage arm shifts more trades onto computer screens
- 02:07 Alphabet's self-driving car unit sues Uber with trade theft charge
- 01:53 Fashion house BCBG Max Azria prepares for bankruptcy: sources
- 01:49 Smuggled rare ploughshare tortoises go on display for first time
- 01:49 China's Panchen Lama says to uphold 'glorious tradition' of patriotism
- 01:42 Get your dancing shoes on for Grimsby's Strictly Get Dancing
- 01:42 What mummy really thinks about everyday family life
- 01:42 Hankies and sticks: Why do people take up Morris dancing?
- 01:39 Southampton boss Claude Puel still stung by Ryan Giggs' winner in 2007
- 01:36 Footballer hit by lightning in Highgate United match remembered
- 01:31 Ryan Palmer and Wesley Bryan share lead at the halfway point of the...
- 01:31 Anthony Joshua 'has a feeling' he will knock Wladimir Klitschko out...
- 01:22 Maps reveal schizophrenia 'hotspots' in England
- 01:17 Tony Bellew meets Everton manager Ronald Koeman as lifelong Blue...
- 01:17 Manchester United great Lou Macari wary of underdogs Southampton in...
- 01:05 Caroline Flint: I was lucky. During the time alcohol took hold of...
- 00:59 James Reed: Why Labour’s MPs are looking closer to home
- 00:59 YP Comment: Jeremy Corbyn, go now for the sake of your country and...
- 00:59 Coronation Street spoiler: The baby bombshell is out but how will...
- 00:56 The secret of happiness? Live life in the slow lane, says Buddhist...
- 00:44 Citi says U.S. regulators are investigating its hiring practices
- 00:38 Antonio Conte went six nights without sleep when Juventus let the...
- 00:38 West Ham boss Slaven Bilic planning to use Troy Deeney criticism to...
- 00:38 New Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray left to rue missed chances after...
- 00:37 YEP Says: Let us celebrate the bigger Jumbo
- 00:37 Dorthy Fairburn: Farming needs workers from the EU
- 00:35 City news: William Hill, British Airways, Pearson, Aston Martin
- 00:35 White House bans certain news media from briefing