Is social media behind a surge in self harm? Young women showing signs of depression rises by HALF in 20 years
Social media could be to blame for an 'alarming rise' in women suffering with anxiety and depression.
Experts say more than a quarter of young women, aged 16 to 24, are suffering worrying symptoms.
This is more than three times the rate for men the same age.
Between a fifth and a quarter of young women have also self-harmed - most commonly cutting themselves - compared to just 10 per cent of men the same age.
The figures, contained in a new report published by NHS Digital, found the rate at which young women are experiencing common mental health disorder symptoms (CMD) is increasing... read more
- 09:07 Mansfield MP sorry for “unemployed wasters” post
- 09:05 England wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow questions Australia ploy to...
- 09:05 Transfer news LIVE: Manchester United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and...
- 09:05 Former Chelsea flop Alexandre Pato targets return to Brazil squad...
- 09:05 Arsenal bid for Malcom is 'all hot air', claim Bordeaux as they...
- 09:04 Dashcam footage shows lorry crash on M1 near Fosse Park
- 09:04 Soot build-up blamed for chimney fire in Swaby
- 09:03 Two Birmingham stabbings within just one hour - what we know so far
- 09:02 Carlisle bus passenger attacks driver's cab after argument
- 09:02 Parents who ‘tortured and starved’ 13 children made them march...
- 09:02 Interserve placed 'under government watch'
- 09:02 Isis member’s wife says ‘we all have our ups and downs’
- 09:02 Burglar smashes girlfriend's Astra into parked cars in north Hull...
- 09:01 Traffic watch: The roadworks which could affect your journey today
- 09:01 Paxton project outlined to Rotary Club
- 09:01 Gift you can't eat is a major boost for Doncaster town's foodbank
- 09:00 Our No1 Italian restaurant named
- 08:58 Cristiano Ronaldo to Man Utd: Real Madrid want Jose Mourinho to...
- 08:57 Elderly cyclist left with life-threatening injuries after hit-and-run
- 08:57 Barcelona news: Lionel Messi wants to STOP team-mate from leaving...
- 08:56 So, how about these meaty hoodies?
- 08:56 Weather warning: Snow and high winds continue to batter Yorkshire...
- 08:56 Amber Rose scared about undergoing breast reduction surgery
- 08:56 Snow causes chaos on roads in Calderdale
- 08:55 Hung out to dry by the Carillion fat cats: Up to 30,000 small firms...
- 08:55 Sultan's supercar: One of the Sultan of Brunei’s SEVEN...
- 08:55 FTSE LIVE: Carillion saga rumbles on as Burberry and Pearson take...
- 08:55 Fashion house Burberry sees performance hit by UK sales slide as it...
- 08:54 List of First and Stagecoach bus service changes due to overnight snow
- 08:54 Wigan teenager saluted for helping suicidal man