IS 'loses more than a quarter of its territory' in Syria and Iraq
So-called Islamic State (IS) has lost more than a quarter of the territory it once controlled, new data shows.
Security and defence analysts IHS say the group's control has shrunk by 28% since its height in January 2015.
In the first nine months of this year, IS' territory fell from 78,000 sq km (30,115 sq miles) to 65,500 sq km - an area equivalent to the size of Sri Lanka - IHS analysts said.
However, IS losses have slowed in the three months to October.
Is so-called Islamic State finished? Islamic State group: The full story Islamic State in maps IS has lost just 2,800 sq km (1,080 sq... read more
- 04:21 China urges U.S. to conduct fair probe into aluminium foil imports
- 04:20 Superstar: I'm in talks with Manchester United
- 04:18 Tottenham confident of summer deal for Liverpool target: Source...
- 04:12 UFC News: McGregor on Diaz trilogy fight, Bisping gives St-Pierre...
- 04:09 Manchester United ace to play key part in convincing star to snub...
- 04:03 Brazil 3-0 Paraguay: Neymar, Marcelo and Philippe Coutinho on the...
- 04:02 Floyd Mayweather admits he respects Conor McGregor's confidence...
- 04:01 Former Mexican ruling party governor wanted over embezzlement
- 03:54 Nintendo Switch games list UPDATE: Psyonix talk Rocket League plans...
- 03:53 Man quizzed over death of British woman at Australian strip club
- 03:51 Nikkei edges down in choppy trade as ex-dividend adjustment weighs
- 03:51 China says Taiwan man being investigated for endangering state
- 03:45 Asia stocks gains with dollar, sterling hit by Brexit woes
- 03:29 Vote to repeal U.S. broadband privacy rules sparks interest in VPNs
- 03:28 Emmerdale spoiler: Laurel set to spiral back into alcoholism after...
- 03:24 Video: Philippe Coutinho scores stunning goal for Brazil vs Paraguay
- 03:17 World War 3? Kim Jong-un may be in 'FINAL STAGES' of preparing for...
- 03:15 Samsung prepares to unveil new flagship smartphone
- 03:15 Mark Duggan family to learn result of inquest verdict challenge
- 03:15 Royal tour of Europe coincides with triggering of Article 50
- 03:07 Oil rises on Libyan supply disruptions, likely OPEC output cut...
- 03:06 Chelsea plan £300,000-a-week contract offer for Eden Hazard
- 02:58 SK Hynix in talks with Japanese investors for joint Toshiba chip...
- 02:49 President Donald Trump's seven most shocking views
- 02:42 China loses most of WTO poultry challenge, scores small win over EU
- 02:42 Volkswagen supervisory board backs Stadler, top managers
- 02:40 Tottenham ‘confident’ they have beaten Chelsea in race for...
- 02:28 PARIS IN FLAMES: Protests continue for second night after police...
- 02:23 Paraguay Congress wrestles again with presidential re-election law
- 02:11 Heartbroken Katie Waissel claims estranged husband has been...