IS confirms death of propaganda chief Abu Mohammed al-Furqan
The Islamic State group (IS) has confirmed the death last month of one of its most senior leaders, Abu Mohammed al-Furqan.
He was minister of information for the group, and oversaw the production of propaganda videos showing executions.
A statement posted online did not say when, where or how he had died.
The Pentagon last month said an air strike killed him near Raqqa in Syria on 7 September.
He was among the few remaining founding members of IS, and had reportedly played a leading role in setting up the jihadist group's key media outfits, including Amaq news agency, and in launching its... read more
- 07:53 Man charged more than £1K for not paying £5.60 rail fare urges...
- 07:52 Thyssenkrupp sees connected elevators lifting profit
- 07:52 Apple delays release of first original series 'Carpool Karaoke'
- 07:52 Exclusive: Vivendi to accelerate expansion in video games and...
- 07:50 Eden Hazard: These three players deserve to replace John Terry as...
- 07:48 Secret to a sharper memory over 50? 45 minutes of gentle exercise...
- 07:47 Trapped cat’s lucky escape from between brick walls in Spilsby
- 07:46 Carpetright nudges profit forecast down as market deteriorates
- 07:45 Craig Shakespeare makes Leicester transfer promise
- 07:45 Eden Hazard provides huge update on new Chelsea deal amid Real...
- 07:45 Ilkeston house fire in Derbyshire sees three taken to hospital
- 07:44 Two arrested in Whitby after suspected class A drugs found
- 07:44 RSPCA appalled by kittens abandoned on Long Eaton street
- 07:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 07:43 Property group LCP targets Scotland with Glasgow base
- 07:42 The next hot trend is blending your makeup with your boyfriend’s balls
- 07:42 Emmerdale spoilers: Brave Rhona Goskirk reports her rape ordeal to...
- 07:42 Get behind and sponsor the first ever Cleethorpes super cycling event
- 07:42 Keyboard warrior with grudge against Muslims bombarded health...
- 07:41 Woman jailed for crashing into pensioner’s car while sending...
- 07:39 Transfer News: Chelsea double swoop, Arsenal and Liverpool message,...
- 07:39 Speeders beware- stricter driving laws come into force today
- 07:38 Riders cover the miles in aid of four key Cumbrian charities
- 07:38 Puma reports strong sales in Americas and Europe
- 07:38 United, Hartlepool can stay up, says chairman Gary Coxall
- 07:38 Chelsea star Eden Hazard makes contract revelation amid Real Madrid...
- 07:37 Zlatan Ibrahimovic accepts Manchester United career 'is over'
- 07:36 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 07:36 Slow moving traffic is causing problems for motorists in Burton and...
- 07:35 Lincolnshire 'will see more flooding' unless money is invested in...