Is AI our best hope for finding alien life? Scientists show that neural networks can spot tiny wobbles in space-time 10 MILLION times faster than current methods
Artificial intelligence could help in the search for alien life by reading tiny distortions in space-time 10 million times faster than current methods.
The space-time wobbles, known as gravitational lenses, occur when a large galaxy bends the light emitted from a more distant galaxy.
They are used by scientists to study the matter of distant galaxies, which could host star systems with planets in their habitable zones.
Now scientists have shown that neural networks - a form of AI modelled after the human brain - can analyse gravitational lenses at rapid speeds, and they could be used by... read more
- 13:11 ‘New California’ declares independence to become 51st US state
- 13:09 Sir Desmond Swayne 'embarrassed' by Commons snooze
- 13:09 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:09 Quiz: How much of a Stormzy fan are you?
- 13:09 NHS 'haemorrhaging' nurses, experts say
- 13:09 Liverpool's Marko Grujic to join Cardiff on loan as Middlesbrough...
- 13:09 Floyd Mayweather rides a horse on the beach as boxing legend...
- 13:09 Businessman throws a lifeline to worried Carillion staff
- 13:09 Farewell to Ronaldinho, the first YouTube footballer: From...
- 13:08 Quiz: Could you pass Donald Trump's cognitive test?
- 13:08 Freedom of Hull given to city-born legendary actor Sir Tom Courtenay
- 13:07 More gales, rain and snow heading our way with Storm Georgina
- 13:07 Councillor to hear from constituents
- 13:07 Leeds United aim to rediscover their goal touch
- 13:07 Syrian refugees arrive in Leeds to be resettled across Yorkshire
- 13:07 MP raises issue of poor patient transport services
- 13:06 Alexis Sanchez Man Utd deal: Why Man City cooled interest in...
- 13:06 VIDEO: Watch gritters battling to keep North Yorkshire's highest...
- 13:06 Sharon inspires people to get out of debt
- 13:05 Man in hospital with serious injuries after being attacked in Runcorn
- 13:04 ‘Cynical’ decision by Derbyshire County Council to cut centre’s...
- 13:04 Former Facebook executive says the company is a 'living, breathing...
- 13:04 Businessman throws a lifeline to worried Carillion staff
- 13:04 East Midlands businesses invited to comment on Heathrow Airport...
- 13:04 Fears of an attack with weapons of mass destruction tops list of...
- 13:04 Road closed after man is seriously injured in collision with car
- 13:04 NHS 'haemorrhaging' nurses, experts say
- 13:03 Whisky distilleries on the rise in England and Wales
- 13:03 What is Tether? The only cryptocurrency RISING as bitcoin, Ripple...
- 13:03 Deepwater Horizon oil spill bill puts BP in deeper water