Irish budget beyond limit of prudent policy, watchdog says
Ireland's 2017 budget goes beyond the limit of prudent policy, the country's fiscal watchdog said on Wednesday after the government announced a 1.3 billion euro (1.19 billion pounds) package of spending increases and tax cuts.
The measures appear to break European Union budgetary rules, but not by a significant enough margin to justify fines, the head of Ireland's Fiscal Advisory Council John McHale said.
Finance Minister Michael Noonan on Tuesday announced the 1.3 billion package of tax cuts and spending increases, increasing an earlier estimate that the government would have 1 billion... read more
- 13:01 Ground broken on new £350m rail line
- 13:01 POLL: Is Theresa May right to leave the single market?
- 13:01 Missing man could be in Cumbria as police launch search to find him
- 13:01 Chelsea eyeing Felipe Anderson and Stefan de Vrij in double...
- 13:01 Concerns over council's £45,000 bill for Roman cavalry re-enactment...
- 13:01 Man missing for a month could be in Cumbria
- 13:00 Search ongoing for missing Whitley Bay man who 'requires medication'
- 13:00 Quad bike and tools stolen in Corbridge garage burglary
- 12:59 Horncastle community responds to aid call
- 12:59 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is just 30 per cent tactics and 70 per...
- 12:58 Donald Trump stopped Ed Sheeran releasing his album two months ago
- 12:58 U.S. STOCK INDEX FUTURES PARE LOSSES, DOW JONES FUTURES NOW DOWN...
- 12:58 Norma Bell murder trial: Son said accused had been asking for money
- 12:58 Carragher: Both Manchester United FC and Manchester City are out of...
- 12:57 Dad delivers his baby after wife SNEEZES herself into labour
- 12:57 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger handed major triple injury boost ahead...
- 12:56 Energy saving tips: How much cheaper will my energy bills be if I...
- 12:56 Executive cars without the premium price tag: Ford Mondeo, Skoda...
- 12:56 Road closed after man seriously injured in crash
- 12:55 France considers idea of giving everyone £660 a month for...
- 12:54 First photos of girl, 18, crushed to death in BPM festival stampede...
- 12:53 Man arrested on suspicion of drink-driving after Lincoln bridge crash
- 12:53 Concern for missing Whitley Bay man
- 12:53 Manchester United agree deal with right-back, contract agreed -...
- 12:53 Theresa May confirms: Britain will leave the single market
- 12:52 Airbus CEO sees 'flying car' prototype ready by end of year
- 12:52 Set-piece goals put Blyth Spartans on top of league
- 12:51 Telford man wanted for recall to prison is arrested
- 12:51 Man wins £10,000 by spinning a wheel at Nottingham casino
- 12:51 No Brexit deal better than "bad deal", UK's May says