Irish budget beyond limit of prudent policy, watchdog says
Ireland's 2017 budget goes beyond the limit of prudent policy, the country's fiscal watchdog said on Wednesday after the government announced a 1.3 billion euro (1.19 billion pounds) package of spending increases and tax cuts.
The measures appear to break European Union budgetary rules, but not by a significant enough margin to justify fines, the head of Ireland's Fiscal Advisory Council John McHale said.
Finance Minister Michael Noonan on Tuesday announced the 1.3 billion package of tax cuts and spending increases, increasing an earlier estimate that the government would have 1 billion... read more
- 13:01 Thug who battered partner to death after finding her in bed with...
- 13:01 Beijing threatens legal action over webcam claims
- 13:01 Smartwatch sales show sharp decline, report finds
- 13:00 Family’s mission to help others
- 13:00 Bastian Schweinsteiger can lift Manchester United - Manuel Neuer
- 13:00 Chris Ashton to join Toulon from Saracens at the end of this season
- 13:00 Henrikh Mkhitaryan was supposed to show that Manchester United can...
- 12:59 Reunion event for workers of Bloom & Billet Mill set to take place
- 12:59 Season's first seal pups born at Lincolnshire nature reserve
- 12:59 What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Scunthorpe?
- 12:59 Scunthorpe United look for good away following at Charlton Athletic...
- 12:59 Last tenant moves out as bulldozers are set to move in on Albert...
- 12:59 Government commits to using UK steel after giving backing to...
- 12:59 Anniversary for family run Whaley Bridge company
- 12:58 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 12:58 HK legislature delays swearing-in of pro-independence lawmakers...
- 12:58 Woman's agonising TWO-AND-A-HALF-YEAR wait for pain relief treatment
- 12:57 Screws placed around victim's car after vandals target home
- 12:56 Zac Goldsmith set to quit as MP over Heathrow decision
- 12:55 Councils aren't paying enough to cover the costs of home care for...
- 12:55 Wildlife broadcaster Simon King officially opens Gibraltar Point...
- 12:55 Four tonnes of asbestos fly-tipped near Marshchapel
- 12:55 Woman takes over estate agents 16 years after starting as part-time...
- 12:54 Plans for Cheryl's third wedding 'underway' as boyfriend Liam Payne...
- 12:53 Former Everton striker confirms return to Goodison Park as coach
- 12:53 Scots experts hope vaping could help people lose weight
- 12:52 Meet the two new police horses ready to hit our streets
- 12:52 Police investigating after 'petrol bomb' attack outside family home
- 12:52 Spate of tool thefts from South Tyneside work vans
- 12:51 ‘For the love of our planet’: Transition Town Louth event at Youth...