Iranian writer given long jail term for story about stoning
A writer and human rights activist has been sentenced to six years' imprisonment in Iran for penning a story about stoning.
Golrokh Ebrahimi Iraee faces years behind bars even though her writing has not been published.
She was convicted of "insulting Islamic sanctities" and "spreading propaganda against the system".
Amnesty International called the conviction "ludicrous" and the trial "farcical".
Victims of stoning are executed by having rocks thrown at them until they are dead. In Iran, most are women accused of adultery.
Ms Ebrahimi Iraee's work... read more
- 14:01 Art reviews: Louise Bourgeois | Stephen Sutcliffe | Sara Barker
- 14:00 Donations needed to go under the gavel at charity auction
- 14:00 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:59 Japanese pornstars treat fans to farting performance
- 13:59 P&G staff dig deep for hospice
- 13:59 Tory minister defends his comments about killing UK IS fighters
- 13:59 Everton sack Ronald Koeman after 16 months in charge at Goodison Park
- 13:59 Manchester United must 'stick together' after first Premier League...
- 13:59 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:57 Birmingham Prison bosses received 'indicators' of £6m riot BEFORE...
- 13:57 Solihull power cut: Live updates as town centre shops evacuated
- 13:56 Neighbours spoilers: Olympia Valance exit confirmed? Fears for...
- 13:56 Kim Cattrall age, net worth and early television and film appearances
- 13:55 Russia radio presenter stabbed in neck
- 13:54 Female MPs reveal harrowing accounts of sexual assault
- 13:54 Man 'stabbed five times' outside St Leonards school
- 13:54 Dylan Barker 'captured the hearts of of everyone he met', says...
- 13:53 Residents call the police after being ‘terrorised’ by a goat
- 13:52 Children with alcoholic parents face a greater risk of having...
- 13:52 Dementia diet: Whether fish or omega-3 supplements are better REVEALED
- 13:52 Five reasons a visit to Loch Lomond is good for the soul
- 13:52 Can't be bothered to floss? Seven percent of people use strands of...
- 13:52 Asthma UK gym advice: Do THESE eight things to make exercising with...
- 13:52 Theatre: Joyce McMillan reports from the Dublin International...
- 13:52 Swansea vs Manchester United TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds...
- 13:52 Woman, 21, 'sweats' BLOOD from her face and the palms of her hands...
- 13:52 VIDEO: Derbyshire mum's warning after toddler is dragged inside...
- 13:52 Journey’s End movie trailer: INCREDIBLE first look at WW1 classic –...
- 13:52 Woman, 40, whose brain is dropping out of her skull and crushing...
- 13:52 Wilko launches half price Pick n Mix sale