Investment at long last in the railways
0 Have your say Investment in public transport has taken a considerable upturn in the last few years.
When Dr Beeching was given the job of trimming the railway network 55 years ago it created a mind-set in government, and some parts of British Railways, that almost the whole system would be in managed decline until it vanished.
The process was begun by Prime Minister Harold Macmillan and executed by Ernest Marples, Minister of Transport. Marples had a business in road building.
There was a resistance to carrying out anything but day-to-day maintenance on the railway network, and absolutely... read more
- 12:57 Here’s the ‘I like Corbyn… but’ website Theresa May mentioned in PMQs
- 12:57 Home Office tells EU nationals not to apply for permanent UK residency
- 12:57 New bus depot café serves up a journey back in time
- 12:56 Man Utd ask James Rodriguez to do something unusual for transfer:...
- 12:56 HGV driver fined over tachograph
- 12:54 McDonald's offers all staff an end to zero-hours contracts
- 12:54 Liverpool 14-0 Establishment: How the Hillsborough Inquests verdict...
- 12:54 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:53 VIDEO: Heart-stopping moment driver-less car rolls into on-coming...
- 12:53 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:52 Spurs' boss Mauricio Pochettino reacts to Dele Alli Man City...
- 12:52 Gary Neville: This player should be Man United's next captain
- 12:51 Blurton death update: Paramedics found man, 63, unconscious at house
- 12:51 Charity Wellingborough to Rushden barrow push raises £600
- 12:51 Stoke City news and transfer rumours LIVE: Hughes backing, skipper...
- 12:50 Hummus crisis? What hummus crisis?
- 12:50 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:50 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:48 East Kilbride keeper gets his wish as he faces old club Buckie in...
- 12:48 British American says 2017 trading in line with expectations
- 12:48 Woman who died after burst football row was not originally thought...
- 12:47 The strangest skyscraper concept yet? Bizarre 'Pod Vending Machine'...
- 12:47 Malicious apps posing as Pokemon Go and Fifa gaming guides have...
- 12:47 New home in Ulverston secures future of Furness roller derby teams
- 12:46 Fancy a Big Mac at home - it could happen under new delivery plans
- 12:45 Who is standing for election in Misterton division?
- 12:44 Coronation Street grooming plot: Chris Harper burst into TEARS...
- 12:43 Manchester United hold Jan Oblak transfer talks with agent this week
- 12:43 Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund bidding to save seasons in...
- 12:43 P&G's third-quarter profit declines 8.3 percent