Investment at long last in the railways
0 Have your say Investment in public transport has taken a considerable upturn in the last few years.
When Dr Beeching was given the job of trimming the railway network 55 years ago it created a mind-set in government, and some parts of British Railways, that almost the whole system would be in managed decline until it vanished.
The process was begun by Prime Minister Harold Macmillan and executed by Ernest Marples, Minister of Transport. Marples had a business in road building.
There was a resistance to carrying out anything but day-to-day maintenance on the railway network, and absolutely... read more
- 10:37 Sony to release as many as six mobile phone games next year
- 10:36 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:36 Miss Rugby stars in video
- 10:35 It’s Miaow-y Christmas!
- 10:35 EMERGING MARKETS-Lira at one-week high; fragile emerging assets...
- 10:34 Lib Dems fined £20,000 by watchdog over undeclared payments
- 10:34 WEIRD WINTER WEATHER: Temperatures to top balmy 12C
- 10:34 Drug-user told how she stole goods because she left purse at home
- 10:34 Pensioner admits kidnap and sexual assault of young girl in village...
- 10:33 Boy, 11, dies three years after accidentally hanging himself
- 10:32 Bayern Munich send ominous message to Arsenal on Twitter ahead of...
- 10:32 Jose Mourinho leaves SIX Manchester United first team stars at home...
- 10:31 Georgian townhouses to undergo £2m revamp
- 10:31 Flu risk leads to order to keep all poultry indoors
- 10:30 Britain fines Pfizer record $107 million for huge drug price hike
- 10:30 'Keep your birds indoors!' Birdflu outbreak warning issued for...
- 10:30 The Premier League's deadliest ever penalty takers - ranked by...
- 10:29 Letters - December 12, 2016
- 10:28 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:27 CSKA Moscow star Alan Dzagoev looks to heap misery on Tottenham at...
- 10:27 DEBATE: Should the drink-drive limit be reduced in England?
- 10:27 Palmer concerned by Nailers’ Sunday switch
- 10:27 Manchester City’s Patrick Roberts reveals Pep Guardiola’s words...
- 10:26 New fund attracts £40m in just four days
- 10:26 Could your old mobile pay for Christmas? Classic Motorola and Nokia...
- 10:26 Death crash inquest opened
- 10:25 Tata steel and unions to meet over deal to save thousands of jobs
- 10:25 Keepers of poultry warned to keep birds inside to protect from bird...
- 10:25 New police powers will tackle Lancaster city centre crime
- 10:24 Young footballer scores goal – then drops dead on the pitch from a...