Invest in cities now or face 2.5 billion discontent urbanites by 2050, report warns
RIO DE JANEIRO (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - In fast-growing cities across the developing world more than 70 percent of residents lack access to basic services like clean water, affordable transportation or decent housing, a research group said on Friday ahead of a U.N. conference on urbanization.
By 2050, 2.5 billion people, a bigger population than China and India combined, will move into the world's cities, said the World Resources Institute (WRI), a Washington, D.C.-based group.
Governments, especially in Africa and Asia where 90 percent of the urban growth will take place, need to... read more
- 07:44 New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gives birth to baby girl
- 07:44 MotoGP news: Valentino Rossi strategy to beat Marc Marquez revealed...
- 07:44 Shock deal for Arsenal midfielder looks nailed on bookies claim
- 07:42 Scots urged to turn to tap to arrest plastic bottle scourge
- 07:42 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:41 Call for upskirting bill to include 'deepfake' pornography ban
- 07:41 Jacinda Ardern: New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- 07:41 Minibus carrying 16 passengers crashes into garden on A1028 in Ulceby
- 07:40 Day four of Burton Bridge roadworks gets under way - live updates
- 07:39 Vulnerable pupils abandoned by schools, head of Ofsted warns
- 07:38 Thieves steal from person's mobility scooter while parked in...
- 07:38 100th birthday celebration for Washington dairy queen Elsie
- 07:36 Patriotic Hartlepool DJ flying the flag for England in the World Cup
- 07:35 BAE Systems wins £150 million tank contract with US Marine Corps
- 07:34 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:33 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:33 Dad-of-10 who fled family after crash dies in prison during...
- 07:33 Bosses make humble public apology after worker got just...
- 07:30 Dixons Carphone sees big profits fall
- 07:29 M55 death crash driver jailed - heartbroken partner recalls...
- 07:27 Parks suffer as councils cut £15 million from green space budgets
- 07:27 Leeds drag and cabaret bar set to take show to another level
- 07:27 Leeds cycle ride to support clean air
- 07:27 Rugby fans to get first glimpse of new 10,000 seater stadium
- 07:26 Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez in 'secret agreement' to ruin...
- 07:26 Chelsea transfer news: Blues set to battle Villarreal over Napoli...
- 07:26 Don Your Way column: Abuse, angry complaints and an email to my...
- 07:26 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:26 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:25 Coventry traffic news: Ring road, M6, A46, A45, M69 and more