Internet trolls targeted with new legal guidelines
Internet trolls who create derogatory hashtags or post doctored images to humiliate others could face prosecution in England and Wales.
Inciting people to harass others online, known as virtual mobbing, could also result in court action, under new Crown Prosecution Service guidance.
It also highlights those who post people's personal information, such as bank details - known as doxxing.
The new rules aim to help police identify online crimes more easily.
'Sexting' ruling But the CPS says it will use "considerable caution" before charging those posting "grossly offensive"... read more
- 12:11 Josh Hanson murder: Shane O'Brien on world's 'most wanted' list
- 12:11 Lancashire's longest serving magistrate retires today on his 70th...
- 12:11 Bank holiday pharmacy opening time for Wakefield district
- 12:11 Man appears in court accused of murdering Sheffield toddler
- 12:09 Leamington shoppers discuss what equality means to them
- 12:08 Thomas says there has not yet been any ‘detailed interest’ in...
- 12:08 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Disney-inspired charity bike run
- 12:08 Unai Emery sees massive potential in Arsenal youngsters Ainsley...
- 12:07 Brave Carlisle police officer rugby tackles man brandishing...
- 12:06 Get in step for 1940s weekend with dance lessons
- 12:06 Police hunt for on-the-run Sunderland rape suspect
- 12:06 The death of Brendan Ingle - farewell to one of the world's most...
- 12:06 Man appears in court accused of murdering Sheffield toddler
- 12:06 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Old Leake pupils organise music competition
- 12:06 RECENT NOSTALGIA: New tyre play areas at Wyberton school
- 12:06 Man guilty of trying to kill WW2 veteran with hammer
- 12:04 Lancashire's longest serving magistrate retires today on his 70th...
- 12:04 Planning on travelling by Metro this weekend? Bank Holiday...
- 12:04 Rare memorial ring for Lord Byron is up for auction
- 12:04 Models back the Respect Program to tackle sexual abuse in fashion
- 12:03 Whiteside in squad for Sofia
- 12:03 What time is the Champions League final and what channel is...
- 12:03 SNP Growth Commission: Scots banks would move HQs to London if...
- 12:02 6 delicious gluten free places to eat in Edinburgh
- 12:01 Quest to find relatives of First World War fallen - as plans for...
- 12:01 Bank Holiday weather: What to expect hour-by-hour in Yorkshire over...
- 11:59 Get in step for 1940s weekend with dance lessons
- 11:59 Rarely-seen garden gems to go on show
- 11:59 Hollie is named Spittal Gala Queen
- 11:59 GDPR blocks some US-based news websites for EU internet users