Internet trolls face prosecution under new guidelines
Inciting people to harass others online, known as virtual mobbing, is among the offences included in the guidance published on Monday.
It is hoped the updated information will help police to determine whether to press charges against someone for their behaviour on social media.
It comes after a major report this year found one in four teenagers suffered abuse online because of their gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability or transgender identity.
Cases of sexting that involve underage children should not be pursued for prosecution if the images are shared consensually between... read more
- 11:05 Lillington burglar jailed after being confronted when trying to...
- 11:05 From broken bones to snot and sprains - a day in the life of an MIU...
- 11:05 Incredible care homes with their own shops, cinema and pub are...
- 11:05 Hull man jailed for life after killing wife and dumping her body on...
- 11:04 Mum of Sheffield drug victim collects degree certificate in moving...
- 11:04 Reg Meuross brings passion and politics to Burton Folk Club
- 11:03 An eye in the sky over Newcastle West End and the Tyne bridges as...
- 11:03 New three-year litter enforcement contract launches next week to...
- 11:03 Liverpool hand West Brom double transfer blow
- 11:03 Team news: Aston Villa man could be ‘out for the rest of the season’
- 11:03 Kim Kardashian furiously hits back at Lamar Odom over Khloe comments
- 11:02 Emaciated dog put to sleep after being found in a bin store in Leeds
- 11:02 Leeds police appeal: Thieves stole Buddha statue from Halton garden
- 11:02 'Difficult days' at Cardiff hospital emergency unit
- 11:01 Two more supermarkets ban sale of energy drinks to under-16s
- 11:00 British backpacker found dead in suspected murder suicide in Sydney
- 11:00 Northumberland remembers victims of the Holocaust
- 11:00 May and Macron join for Oscar-style selfie at end of UK/Franco summit
- 11:00 Calderdale in the running for national arts award
- 10:58 Here's your chance to rock the digital world with Google
- 10:58 Fylde coast firms' chance to meet growth fund advisor
- 10:58 WEATHER WARNING: Icy blast extends into weekend as Yorkshire warned...
- 10:58 What are the odds of Trump surviving 2018 in office? An expert...
- 10:57 Raging Jo-Wilfried Tsonga goes absolutely nuts at umpire during...
- 10:57 Daventry man charged with child sex offences
- 10:56 Queuing traffic on M56 following accident
- 10:55 Here's how existing Sky customers can get an extra 80 channels for...
- 10:55 Beat the winter gloom with this Boots 70% sale off beauty products
- 10:54 Cleveleys family's pie and mash venture
- 10:54 WEATHER WARNING: Icy blast extends into weekend as Yorkshire warned...