Interest shown in former convent building in town
An offer has been made for Alnwick’s former convent building, but the sale is yet to be finalised.
St Mary’s Convent, on Bailiffgate, was closed in September 2015, having been part of the town for more than a century.
The trustees of the Institute of Our Lady of Mercy made the decision to close the site due to the dwindling number of sisters and their increasing need for care. The six nuns were moved to the Institute’s other convents.
The Institute owns the Alnwick building and this week it confirmed that there has been interest in it, but could not go into details. A spokesman said: “I can... read more
- 12:27 Gay canon Jeremy Pemberton loses tribunal appeal
- 12:27 Mother and son in Harrogate hospital after car overturned in crash
- 12:26 Huge Earners: The 20 best-paid Premier League players and their...
- 12:24 ASTONISHING CLAIM: Christian pastor claims to have brought back boy...
- 12:24 BREAKING: Pakistan Airlines plane missing near mountainous...
- 12:24 Book online for health and fitness sessions in North Lincolnshire
- 12:24 Doncaster review into sex abuse in sport ordered by child...
- 12:24 Ex-Chelsea coach: The real reason Ramires wanted to leave Stamford...
- 12:24 'HS2 stress is making us ill,' say Doncaster residents
- 12:23 Plane goes missing after taking off with around 40 people on board
- 12:22 Pakistan flight crashes in north
- 12:20 Manchester United ace Marouane Fellaini blasts David Luiz for...
- 12:20 KH Hair boss honoured by Fellowship for British Hairdressing
- 12:19 Yorkshire Tea...isn't from Yorkshire?!
- 12:18 Shuttleworth's Year 7 student ambassadors taking charge
- 12:18 Swan rescued from Odeon cinema in Bolebridge Street, Tamworth
- 12:17 Chellaston police meeting at Bonnie Prince pub with free drinks up...
- 12:17 The Santa Tracker is back – and it’s even better than last year!
- 12:17 Britain needs Brexit transitional deal - insurance trade body
- 12:16 There's a new sheriff in town! Basketball legend Shaquille O'Neal...
- 12:15 Tata steel and unions to meet over deal to save thousands of jobs
- 12:15 New £5 notes engraved with Jane Austin worth £50,000 circulated in...
- 12:14 Cumbrian department store closed after power cut
- 12:13 Woman raped by fiance as she was having an epileptic seizure
- 12:12 Gas alert at Lancashire nuclear plant
- 12:12 New £5 notes engraved with Jane Austin worth £50,000 circulated in...
- 12:12 Poorly Hartlepool baby’s plight inspires big fundraising drive
- 12:12 Help by the trolley load for Hartlepool Foodbank
- 12:11 Steve Ross: Big data still needs the human touch
- 12:11 Pep Guardiola’s next generation: The dream team of Manchester City...