Insight - In eastern Syria oil smugglers benefit from chaos
Powerful Sunni Muslim tribes have deployed armed fighters around oil production facilities and pipelines that have fallen under their control and set up smuggling and trade deals, according to sources in the province including rebels, an oil company employee and people with ties to the tribes.
Deir al-Zor is critical to Syrian oil output that has more than halved in the past two years of fighting. The hijacking of the oil industry by tribes complicates Western efforts to help the Syrian opposition fund itself and will make any future reconstruction even more difficult.
"Each tribe now... read more
- 07:33 Arsenal winger confirms he has joined Premier League rival on...
- 07:31 Dyson 'enormously optimistic' about post-Brexit trade
- 07:31 Sunderland headteachers want parental support to fight ‘£14million...
- 07:31 Driver dragged from car by stranger as three women suffer...
- 07:31 ‘Autism passport’ scheme launched thanks to input from Sunderland...
- 07:31 Brave Bradley Lowery is pride of England as Wembley mascot
- 07:30 Gulf Arab states push for UK free trade deal after Brexit - officials
- 07:27 Indyref2: SNP ‘must be realistic’ on economy to win vote
- 07:26 Nikkei tumbles as safe-haven yen surges on Trump healthcare defeat
- 07:25 Fire crews called to college twice in one night
- 07:25 Cheryl’s mum Joan ‘moving into Cheryl and Liam Payne’s love nest to...
- 07:24 Voice your concerns about village plan
- 07:23 Lionel Messi demands Barcelona sign these players: Cristiano...
- 07:19 SLIDESHOW: Blackpool 2 Hartlepool United 1: Pools fans slideshow
- 07:18 Kirsty Gunn: A good deal more worthy than pandering to politics
- 07:18 Lincoln man appears in new Channel 5 documentary
- 07:18 At last! Town to finally get skate park after 11 year wait
- 07:18 Lincolnshire hotel set to be transformed into special school
- 07:18 Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez eyes incredible Premier League signing
- 07:17 Everything you need to know about the new £1 coin
- 07:17 How Hull mum's love for kids helped her break free from prostitution
- 07:17 Princes Quay shopping centre reveals new-look entrances to help...
- 07:17 Hull KR's Jamie Ellis disappointed to not break world record
- 07:17 Live as Radio 1 reveals Big Weekend Hull ticket release date
- 07:17 Curb supermarket discounts on salty, fatty foods: MPs demand tough...
- 07:16 Edinburgh’s Exova confirms three takeover approaches
- 07:16 WEATHER: Sheffield set for more sunshine this afternoon
- 07:16 News report on a loop
- 07:15 Theresa May pledges to ‘strengthen Union’ as Brexit looms
- 07:13 Man City news and transfer rumours LIVE Gabriel Jesus injury latest...