Inflation jumps to one per cent: Cost of living spikes amid higher petrol prices
Inflation leapt from 0.6 per cent in August to reach its highest level since November 2014, as measured by the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) under the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
It means a typical basket of bills, services and goods that cost £100 a year ago would today cost £101 today.
The increase is largely a result of the rising prices of clothing, motor fuels and overnight hotel stays, said the ONS.
However, food prices and air fares helped keep inflation relatively low.
The Bank of England targets an inflation rate of two per cent and the weaker pound is expected to push... read more
- 20:49 When do the clocks go back and what does it mean?
- 20:48 Morgan Stanley COO Jim Rosenthal to retire at end of year - memo
- 20:48 Deutsche settlement over Russia trades possible in 2017 - sources
- 20:45 US election: Clinton 'eyes Biden for top diplomat job'
- 20:43 Morrisons has raised the price of Marmite by 12.5%
- 20:43 Watch as autistic Derbyshire boy, 8, performs amazing Thriller...
- 20:40 Jess Varnish relieved as British Cycling uphold complaint against...
- 20:38 Driver jailed for killing passenger as he smashed car into garden wall
- 20:36 India, Pakistan trade accusations of bloodshed across Line of Control
- 20:36 France's Valls expresses "anger" over Hollande comments - Le Monde
- 20:35 Apple products just got a lot more expensive because of the weak pound
- 20:33 Drunken mum who glassed woman in the face at funeral wake jailed...
- 20:25 Great British Menu: Prue Leith replaced by Andi Oliver
- 20:25 UPDATE: Police searching for potential escapee from Haverigg prison
- 20:22 Pornhub makes offer to buy Vine saying ‘six seconds is more...
- 20:21 FBI open probe into Hillary Clinton's classified emails again after...
- 20:20 Fylde coast ice rink site is back in play as fun centre
- 20:17 Don't forget to put the clocks back on Sunday
- 20:17 Spooky Halloween tales from the past around Burton and South...
- 20:17 Northwich Odeon opening date announced at Barons Quay
- 20:15 How Man City can thrive with De Bruyne, Gundogan AND Silva
- 20:15 Andi Oliver replaces Prue Leith on The Great British Menu...
- 20:14 FBI to review more emails related to Clinton's private email use
- 20:13 Mam Tor and The Great Ridge walk is the third top-trending...
- 20:12 Appeal launched to trace escapee from Cumbrian prison
- 20:12 Wolves: Why it's simply crucial Fosun get the next appointment bang...
- 20:09 Villagers step up efforts to save pub
- 20:08 Deadly measles complication is far more common than previously...
- 20:08 Soda tax DOES work in America: First tax on sugary drinks cut sales...
- 20:05 Barcelona close to breaking ties with Spanish league in water...