Indy supporters ‘more likely to use Scots words’ in tweets
Twitter users who back Scottish independence are more likely to use Scots words in their posts - except when tweeting about the referendum issue itself, analysis shows.
A computer-based study of thousands of tweets written during the 2014 referendum campaign looked at how people’s use of language was related to their identity, views and discussion on the debate.
Scottish words - such as oor, yersel or bairns - were used more frequently by users who favoured pro-independence hashtags, but not necessarily in the same posts.
Overall, tweeters decreased their use of Scots words when discussing... read more
- 15:43 Man accused of killing Leeds teenager 'bragged about the shooting...
- 15:43 Kingdom accused of cashing in on Storm Ophelia
- 15:42 Four British people kidnapped in Nigeria
- 15:42 Oldham Athletic announce Richie Wellens as new manager
- 15:42 Judge blames man for killing his baby
- 15:42 Manchester United player Victor Lindelof will be big hit says...
- 15:41 Shell launches first EV charging stations in the UK
- 15:41 The UK's top sustainable restaurants
- 15:41 Take a look at the amazing images competing for Wildlife...
- 15:41 These are the most Instagrammable food trends from around the world
- 15:40 Sci-fi style wind ‘baffles’ installed at Leeds’ notorious...
- 15:38 Police hunt three men over unprovoked attack on Leeds United fan
- 15:38 Drunk woman kicked police officer
- 15:38 Fleetwood’s Jacinta repair work delayed by weather
- 15:38 Docks dream to move closer
- 15:38 Sick Brits 'travelling to Serbia for sex with dogs at animal...
- 15:38 UPDATE: Police confirm man's injuries following 'disturbance' near...
- 15:38 Hundreds of responses received for Melton bypass consultation
- 15:37 Novak Djokovic reveals what he really thinks about Roger Federer...
- 15:37 Why Lee Burge is still Coventry City's top keeper - despite THAT...
- 15:37 Chelsea vs Roma: Alejandro Moreno makes huge prediction about...
- 15:37 BBC launch hunt for Britain’s Best Cook - have you got what it takes?
- 15:37 Tom Robinson on why he’s glad to be grey and hitting the road again
- 15:37 Corby pupils given driving experience in road safety course
- 15:36 Fire Emblem Warriors review – almost mediocre
- 15:36 La Palma volcano: Will it erupt? Latest threat alert for Tenerife...
- 15:36 Teeth whitening: Why trendy toothpastes could damage teeth
- 15:35 Sci-fi style wind ‘baffles’ installed at Leeds’ notorious...
- 15:35 Jet2.com take title of most punctual airline
- 15:35 Kelly Pegg: Keeping the spark alive after years with the same person