Indonesia passes chemical castration law for paedophiles
Indonesia's parliament has passed controversial laws authorising chemical castration, minimum sentences and execution for convicted paedophiles.
President Joko Widodo proposed the changes in May following the gang rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl.
The laws were subject to fierce debate in parliament, with two opposition parties voting against castration.
Human rights groups have objected to the punishments, arguing that violence will not be stopped by violence.
The Indonesian Doctors Association said administering chemical castration would violate its professional ethics and said its... read more
- 13:33 Jurgen Klopp ‘angry’ at the thought of Liverpool losing to West Ham
- 13:33 Antonio Conte asked about those Alexis Sanchez to Chelsea rumours –...
- 13:33 Transfer Fee Comparison: Man Utd spent nearly three times as much...
- 13:32 Celebrity minder Ricky Hayden death: Man denies murder
- 13:31 Revealed: Harrogate Christmas shop window winners for 2016
- 13:31 Good news for M1 and M62 commuters in West Yorkshire
- 13:31 Review: Incredible success of 2016 Nidderdale Messiah
- 13:30 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte discusses January transfer plans
- 13:30 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho...
- 13:29 Extremely relatable squirrel gets stuck in a manhole cover thanks...
- 13:29 Maersk, Hyundai Merchant Marine alliance talks in doubt
- 13:29 Plans for Indian restaurant to be built on former site of popular...
- 13:29 South Yorkshire torture brothers granted lifelong anonymity
- 13:29 Manchester United new signings rated: Eric Bailly shining for Jose...
- 13:29 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp warns West Ham his side will be...
- 13:29 Bomb disposal team to carry out explosion in Walney
- 13:28 Tamworth Herald tracks down 'love lock' couple from Hockley
- 13:28 Arsenal star Alex Iwobi reveals Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez guidance
- 13:28 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte hails Diego Costa: He shows huge passion
- 13:26 Rainford schools honoured at education awards
- 13:26 Sex abuser vows to continue fight for justice after CPS decide not...
- 13:25 Developers rethink controversial access route for planned 100-home...
- 13:25 READER LETTER: Parking - New roads come at cost
- 13:24 Big in the USA: Which Premier League clubs attract the most viewers...
- 13:24 Jurgen Klopp has no idea when ‘not happy’ Daniel Sturridge will be...
- 13:24 Antonio Conte has Chelsea playing sensational football and this is why
- 13:24 Anthony Joshua: I will 100% fight David Haye after Eric Molina
- 13:24 U.S. defence chief reassures Afghans amid questions over Trump's...
- 13:24 U.S. Democrats plot uphill fight against some Trump nominations
- 13:23 Ban on junk food ads targeted at children