Indonesia passes chemical castration law for paedophiles
Indonesia's parliament has passed controversial laws authorising chemical castration, minimum sentences and execution for convicted paedophiles.
President Joko Widodo proposed the changes in May following the gang rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl.
The laws were subject to fierce debate in parliament, with two opposition parties voting against castration.
Human rights groups have objected to the punishments, arguing that violence will not be stopped by violence.
The Indonesian Doctors Association said administering chemical castration would violate its professional ethics and said its... read more
- 13:38 Wakefield grandmother's last minute dream meeting with Sir Cliff...
- 13:38 Yorkshire weather: Wet and windy but good news for the weekend
- 13:38 Buckshaw retirement residents try out Virual Reality
- 13:37 FMQs: Sturgeon under pressure to apologise for ‘not being straight’...
- 13:37 Bearded Scotsman hunted by police in Cumbria disorder probe
- 13:37 VOTE: Derbyshire still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:37 Is this the best youth game ever? Watch stunning cup final comeback
- 13:36 Well known Doncaster town centre GP dies
- 13:36 Jermain Defoe signs three-year deal at Bournemouth worth £20m...16...
- 13:36 Smarty pants? Children with higher IQ at lower risk of dying from...
- 13:35 Sunderland sale collapses: Ellis Short to remain, Simon Grayson set...
- 13:35 Fire safety checks come back on Cumbrian high rises
- 13:35 6 reasons to leave it all behind and go to beautiful Dominica
- 13:35 John Carver tells Rafa Benitez to sign game-changers from Chelsea...
- 13:34 This Morning viewers INCONSOLABLE as couple get married LIVE up The...
- 13:34 Bemusement arcade
- 13:34 Nigeria: Ogoni widows sue Shell over military crackdown
- 13:34 New parents naming babies after politicians
- 13:34 Specs help give Brian gift of sight
- 13:33 Alexis Sanchez, Lionel Messi and Javier Hernandez – the 40 stars...
- 13:33 Thrill-seekers stuck in mid-air for '45 minutes' on Smiler ride at...
- 13:33 Liverpool Transfer News: Lemar contact made, Sessegnon snub,...
- 13:32 15 treats you can get for free on your birthday
- 13:32 Battle to save Bowland’s skydancers
- 13:32 VOTE: Notts still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:32 Pub bombings families face fresh wait to see if suspects will be...
- 13:32 Watch: Shock moment bank raiders smash silver 4x4 into bank
- 13:31 Nuneaton paedophile jailed for making more than 6,000 child abuse...
- 13:31 It's sofa so good for new furniture store
- 13:31 Donate your old phones to students