Indian worker's suicide in Qatar raises concern over stranded migrants
The death of an Indian labourer in Qatar who had complained about not being paid and later committed suicide on a building site has focused attention on migrant workers struggling amid an economic downturn in the Gulf state ahead of the 2022 World Cup.
Scaffolder Ajaya Behara, 44, hanged himself in the basement of the Doha Exhibition and Convention Center on September 7, weeks after asking his employer to pay outstanding wages and renew his expired visa, according to his family and co-workers.
Behara's employer has said the suicide was not related to work conditions. But his death on a... read more
- 17:46 VIDEO: 85-year-old woman put into induced coma after crash which...
- 17:46 Christmas soup lunch in Louth on Saturday
- 17:46 Christmas carol flash mob to take over Barrow town centre
- 17:46 Former police chief becomes chairman of Lincolnshire’s hospitals trust
- 17:44 I'm A Celebrity's Rebekah Vardy left 'heartbroken' over how she...
- 17:43 Britain First chief Jayda Fransen shouts 'No Surrender' after...
- 17:43 List of 17 Birmingham bus routes diverted due to icy conditions
- 17:39 Beard-stroking 'job' advert gets thousands of responses
- 17:38 Warnings over illegal rave-style event proposed at 'dangerous...
- 17:37 Neymar ‘wants’ Real Madrid move: How he could fit in at the Bernabeu
- 17:37 James Rodriguez: Bayern Munich star planned Real Madrid return and...
- 17:37 F1 news: Williams DELAY decision over 2018 drivers Robert Kubica...
- 17:37 Ashes: Jonny Bairstow does his dad proud with maiden hundred
- 17:36 Rigoletto review: Royal Opera House, London
- 17:35 Murder investigation launched after two-year-old child dies in...
- 17:35 'It's finally real life for her' - brave girl's joy about spending...
- 17:34 Brexit talks: Why 2018 will be no easier
- 17:34 Emergency services battle bad weather to rescue man stranded on...
- 17:34 Revealed ... the four options for the new Menai crossing
- 17:33 Ceredigion Herald newspaper ends print run after two years
- 17:32 Stephen Robinson reveals Motherwell are closing in on a replacement...
- 17:32 Rylan Clark-Neal announces hiatus from This Morning
- 17:31 Former police chief becomes chairman of Lincolnshire’s hospitals trust
- 17:31 Murder investigation launched after two-year-old child dies in...
- 17:31 Charlie takes top spot in book review competition
- 17:30 Chance to work at ancient Skara Brae on Orkney
- 17:30 South Shields barber shop set to give free haircuts to homeless
- 17:29 Police charge 15 drink or drug drivers from Leeds so far this month
- 17:29 Family forced to block igloo after dog kept using it as a kennel
- 17:29 The Post’s Carer of the Year Awards 2018: How to nominate