Indian pupils invent their own lessons
Something is happening in Bhaumau - a rural village in India's populous state of Uttar Pradesh where parents spend most of their time working in agriculture and as day labourers.
Children, with no guidance from adults, are forming learning groups and with nothing more than a tablet computer preloaded with educational videos, stories and games, they are learning English and conducting science experiments.
In the first three months of playing with the tablets there has been, according to the project's monitoring data, an 11% increase in pupils' core academic skills such as reading in... read more
- 16:16 Leeds student’s death - jury inquest continues
- 16:16 ‘Rebuild trust’ between football fans and police to fight sectarianism
- 16:16 Can you get sued for clearing snow and ice from your driveway?
- 16:16 Model glassed woman in face after being denied entry to VIP area
- 16:16 Bones of penguin the size of a man discovered in New Zealand
- 16:16 How Derby County's subs are playing a key role this season
- 16:16 Driver ‘deliberately crashed into group of bouncers’ after...
- 16:16 Failed New York suicide bomber taunted Donald Trump with Facebook post
- 16:16 JK Rowling made Companion of Honour
- 16:15 Nuneaton household's dazzling festive fundraiser
- 16:15 The big freeze: Some schools to remain closed for a THIRD day
- 16:15 Ross Barkley reveals scar after hamstring injury - but he is close...
- 16:15 Can you get sued for clearing snow and ice from your driveway?
- 16:15 Public hearing into Melton Local Plan to start next month
- 16:15 Repeat victim robbed at knifepoint after raiders broke into his...
- 16:15 Leeds student’s death - jury inquest continues
- 16:14 Mosque linked to ISIS Jihadi terror forced to install CCTV to...
- 16:14 Lakes hotel unveils £250k bedrooms revamp
- 16:14 South Cumbria pupils experience life as college students
- 16:14 Sports brand stays one step ahead with world first in footwear
- 16:14 Fire crews tackle blaze at Co-operative supermarket in Norton
- 16:14 40 cameras and the 'same people over and over': The battle against...
- 16:14 Ryanair pilots set to strike five days before Christmas
- 16:13 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Alexandra Burke issued APOLOGY over...
- 16:13 Toto Wolff sets Valtteri Bottas task of overtaking F1 champion...
- 16:13 Motorway blocked after crash between two lorries and a car
- 16:13 Llandyrnog cheese plants defeats ice and snow to take delivery of...
- 16:13 Teams worked through the night
- 16:12 New deal secures future of Bakewell’s Agricultural Business Centre
- 16:12 The festive foods you can and can't feed your dogs and cats