India tax evasion amnesty uncovers hidden billions
A tax evasion amnesty in India has prompted tens of thousands of people to declare more than $9.5bn (£7.3bn) in undeclared income and assets.
Finance minister Arun Jaitley said the four-month window that ended on Friday brought in 64,275 declarations.
All were offered immunity from prosecution in return for paying tax, a surcharge and a penalty.
It is estimated that the government could raise nearly $4.5bn (£3.4bn) from the scheme.
Undeclared income or "black money" is a huge issue in India.
The government contacted about 700,000 suspected tax evaders earlier this year, urging... read more
- 10:12 Stewartry pair Alex Craig and Stafford McDowall set to represent...
- 10:12 Dutch right-winger Geert Wilders sees himself as Holland's WINSTON...
- 10:12 FTSE LIVE: Footsie flat in a session dominated by corporate...
- 10:11 Storm Doris: Yorkshire braces itself for 80mph winds and torrential...
- 10:11 Man rescued but two dogs killed in blaze
- 10:11 London firm to manage historic resort hotel
- 10:11 ECB chief economist warns Brexit impact could turn nasty
- 10:11 Barclays reports surprise capital boost as legal costs loom
- 10:11 British man accused of masterminding German cyber attack
- 10:10 Fourth teenager charged over street shooting
- 10:10 Storm Doris: What is a weather bomb?
- 10:10 Louth councillor slams BNP leaflets as ‘disgusting’
- 10:10 Mablethorpe Seal Sanctuary education room re-opens
- 10:10 Advice issued on protecting yourself and property as Storm Doris...
- 10:09 Chelsea v Swansea: Win a pair of tickets to this Premier League...
- 10:09 Arsene Wenger has been brilliant for Arsenal... but they’ve been...
- 10:09 Motorcyclist dies after crash in Bottesford
- 10:09 Starbucks is bringing fancy Nitro Cold Brew Coffee to their UK stores
- 10:09 1,000,000 people watch home movie recreation of The Moorside
- 10:08 West Ham boss Slaven Bilic makes HUGE claim about star striker Andy...
- 10:08 Man United star set for hefty cash bonus after doing this
- 10:08 ‘Good year’ for BAE Systems
- 10:08 Advice issued on protecting yourself and property as Storm Doris...
- 10:08 Police seize suspected cannabis haul
- 10:08 New regulation proposed for doggy day care businesses
- 10:08 10 things every parent should know about Tax-Free Childcare
- 10:06 Wayne Shaw breaks silence over pie-eating scandal – and blames...
- 10:06 Northumberland school buildings need £2k per pupil to bring them up...
- 10:06 LIVE UPDATES: Storm Doris arrives in Derbyshire
- 10:06 York and Leeds scientists in breakthrough on ‘unlocking’ common...