India's rupee crackdown sees money-changers ink-marked
India is using indelible ink to ensure people get only one chance to change their big bank notes.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi scrapped 1,000 (£11.8) and 500 notes in a surprise move last week as part of a tax evasion and corruption crackdown.
People have a limited time to exchange the notes for smaller denominations, but will have their fingers marked.
Authorities often use indelible ink to stop people from voting more than once in Indian elections.
People were told they should deposit their high denomination notes in the banks, or could only exchange up to 4,500 rupees, ($65; £52) for... read more
- 14:40 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:39 Derbyshire cricket ace Michael Vaughan calls for all non-British...
- 14:39 Ponteland Tandoori to remain closed until further notice after...
- 14:39 Manchester terror attack: What we know about the victims and those...
- 14:38 Exclusive: Dubai looking into forming $1 billion shipping...
- 14:38 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:38 Manchester terror attack: The victims and those who are still missing
- 14:38 Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United not impressing Edwin van der Sar
- 14:38 A gin and tonic ice cream bar is coming to London for World Gin Day
- 14:38 Mansfield man describes relief at finding daughter after Manchester...
- 14:37 Derbyshire cricket ace Michael Vaughan calls for all non-British...
- 14:37 Manchester terror attack: The victims and those who are still missing
- 14:36 What is the Manchester bee? Tattoo ideas to show your support
- 14:36 Brits show they’re not afraid with #BritishThreatLevels after...
- 14:36 County mum confirmed as killed in Manchester bomb attack
- 14:36 Sean's pitch perfect FA Cup date
- 14:36 Part of road to remain closed for third night after gas leak
- 14:36 TRAVEL: All trains at a standstill after signal fault at...
- 14:35 New Fiat 500L - updated SUV range revealed for 2017
- 14:35 Rebecca on point to be a top ballerina
- 14:35 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:34 Hollywood star Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson recreates embarrassing...
- 14:34 Sheffield hero 'jumped out of way of blazing gas canister' to alert...
- 14:34 Manchester terror attack: The victims and those who are still missing
- 14:34 Victims of Manchester attack named
- 14:33 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:32 Parent calls meeting over her concerns over a Doncaster school
- 14:32 Man, 87, jailed for historical abuse on young girls
- 14:32 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 14:31 Mum hits out at school bans on fidget spinners