India's migrants fill gap in mills left by locals seeking better prospects - workers' groups
CHENNAI, India (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Spinning mills in India's Tamil Nadu are hiring more migrant workers on low salaries as a growing number of educated youngsters in the southern state say no to exploitative working conditions, labour rights campaigners said.
There is no official breakdown of workers in Tamil Nadu, but activists say more school leavers are turning their backs on the textile industry for jobs in better-paid sectors such as electronics.
"Children of textile workers are not going back to the mills to work. Many of them are first generation learners and want... read more
- 13:41 Power cut in Harborough affects about 800 properties
- 13:41 Plans submitted to move Harborough war memorial
- 13:41 Director aims for heritage museums reboot in Sheffield after a life...
- 13:40 Hillsborough: Tony Bland's family 'hugely disappointed' by no charges
- 13:39 Kremlin: Putin, Trump to meet on sidelines of G20 summit
- 13:39 Former Mayor of Pendle suspended over racist joke share
- 13:38 Wakefield grandmother's last minute dream meeting with Sir Cliff...
- 13:38 Yorkshire weather: Wet and windy but good news for the weekend
- 13:38 Buckshaw retirement residents try out Virual Reality
- 13:37 FMQs: Sturgeon under pressure to apologise for ‘not being straight’...
- 13:37 Bearded Scotsman hunted by police in Cumbria disorder probe
- 13:37 VOTE: Derbyshire still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:37 Is this the best youth game ever? Watch stunning cup final comeback
- 13:36 Well known Doncaster town centre GP dies
- 13:36 Jermain Defoe signs three-year deal at Bournemouth worth £20m...16...
- 13:36 Smarty pants? Children with higher IQ at lower risk of dying from...
- 13:35 Sunderland sale collapses: Ellis Short to remain, Simon Grayson set...
- 13:35 Fire safety checks come back on Cumbrian high rises
- 13:35 6 reasons to leave it all behind and go to beautiful Dominica
- 13:35 John Carver tells Rafa Benitez to sign game-changers from Chelsea...
- 13:34 This Morning viewers INCONSOLABLE as couple get married LIVE up The...
- 13:34 Bemusement arcade
- 13:34 Nigeria: Ogoni widows sue Shell over military crackdown
- 13:34 New parents naming babies after politicians
- 13:34 Specs help give Brian gift of sight
- 13:33 Alexis Sanchez, Lionel Messi and Javier Hernandez – the 40 stars...
- 13:33 Thrill-seekers stuck in mid-air for '45 minutes' on Smiler ride at...
- 13:33 Liverpool Transfer News: Lemar contact made, Sessegnon snub,...
- 13:32 15 treats you can get for free on your birthday
- 13:32 Battle to save Bowland’s skydancers