India rupee: Illegal cash crackdown failed - bank report
Indians returned almost all of the high-currency notes banned in last year's shock government crackdown on illegal cash, the central bank says.
It said 15.28tn rupees ($242bn) - or 99% - of the money had made its way back into the banking system.
Ministers had hoped the move would make it difficult for hoarders of undeclared wealth to exchange it for legal tender.
The news that it did not will raise questions about the policy, which brought chaotic scenes across India.
Banks ran out of cash after the ban on 500 ($7) and 1,000 rupee notes, which accounted for about 85% of the money in... read more
- 08:15 Fitness boost for Hartlepool United and caretaker boss Matthew Bates
- 08:15 Kylie Minogue to kick off huge UK arena tour in the North East
- 08:15 New plan for volunteers to fine speeders
- 08:14 Mark Lawrenson's Premier League predictions: Who does he think will...
- 08:13 Manchester United make big decision on Anthony Martial with Jose...
- 08:13 I don’t trust them… they have ISSUES! Mark Lawrenson's Man Utd vs...
- 08:13 Chelsea star Cesar Azpilicueta issues warning to Man Utd ahead of...
- 08:13 PSG star Neymar MUST join Real Madrid in the future - Guti
- 08:11 Hoppers have the finish line in sight
- 08:11 This shameful lowlilfe twice raided the home of a bedridden Blyth...
- 08:11 Families mark centenary of sinking of North Shields trawler with...
- 08:10 Housecroft treble seals Birstall win
- 08:10 Crackenedge romp to victory and maintain Premier title challenge
- 08:09 10 of the best outfits to wear if you’re heading to a spring wedding
- 08:09 Body positive activists recreate the Kardashian/Jenner Calvin Klein...
- 08:09 Chesterfield Scarsdale Rotarians hold charter celebration
- 08:09 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 08:09 Manchester United lacking a leader like Tottenham striker Harry...
- 08:08 Newlywed dies 12 days after Grand Canyon helicopter crash as wife...
- 08:06 BBC News Weather forecasts ferocious SNOW with a TWIST - will you...
- 08:05 Plastic straws could be banned as it’s revealed we use...
- 08:02 Exclusive: Education firm Tes Global in big expansion in Sheffield
- 08:01 Willian targeting Chelsea hat-trick against Manchester United
- 08:00 Kylie Jenner’s tweet about Snapchat may have wiped $1.3bn off its...
- 07:59 Ex-drug addict says thank you to Banbury boy ‘saviour’
- 07:59 OPINION: Poor finishing costs Derby County
- 07:59 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 07:58 Care home nurse who lied about giving dying resident painkillers...
- 07:58 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 07:57 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us