India rupee ban: Opposition parties begin 'day of rage'
Indian opposition parties say thousands will participate in nationwide protests against the government's ban on two major currency notes.
Earlier this month, the 500 and 1,000 rupee notes were banned overnight, causing chaos as people lined up at banks to exchange their old currency.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has defended the decision saying it was an anti-corruption measure.
But opposition parties say the move was mishandled.
Last week, they stalled parliament and demanded Mr Modi should apologise for the decision.
Why India wiped out 86% of its cash overnight How will India destroy 20... read more
- 09:49 Police arrest five and recover Class A drugs after stopping man in...
- 09:49 Edenred shares fall as major investor Colony exits via stake sale
- 09:49 Police ‘very concerned’ for missing Leeds teenager
- 09:48 Appeal after car in collision with woman walking dogs in South Cumbria
- 09:48 Three killed and twenty injured after man deliberately drives at...
- 09:48 British workman dies in Qatar during construction of 2022 World Cup...
- 09:48 Plenty to see and hear on Wakefield’s Artwalk on January 25
- 09:47 Royal seal of approval for South Yorkshire midwife
- 09:47 Premier League team news, odds and stats from every match ahead of...
- 09:47 Asian stocks, dollar drop as Trump caution outweighs China GDP
- 09:47 Spain arrests Russian bank-account hacker wanted by FBI
- 09:46 Win the chance to watch Manchester United first-team train with the...
- 09:46 May urges Scots voters 'tell Sturgeon you don't want a second...
- 09:46 British man dies working on Qatar 2022 World Cup stadium
- 09:46 Theresa May needs to be careful about Scottish opinion, says Record...
- 09:46 Royal seal of approval for South Yorkshire midwife
- 09:46 Plans for Radiotherapy unit at Doncaster hospital put on hold
- 09:46 Watch incredible footage above the potential site for new Everton...
- 09:45 Man charged after police officer stabbing in Cleveleys
- 09:45 Campaign to find life-saving football fans who performed CPR on man...
- 09:45 Zoo demolition revealed new elephant house
- 09:44 Work under way to improve centre
- 09:44 Volunteer day taking place at iconic landmark
- 09:44 Aviva teams up with Tencent, Hillhouse Capital to launch Hong Kong...
- 09:44 Bigger bill for hospital sites as rates are set to rise
- 09:44 UK retail sales fall sharply in December but fourth quarter still...
- 09:44 Mother of US Muslim soldier reignites Trump row with 'HEARTLESS'...
- 09:44 Respite caravan will be a dream holiday home
- 09:44 Starting to panic? Nato chief claims Trump WILL embrace alliance in...
- 09:43 Five Leeds secondary schools fail to hit pupils’ progress targets