India parents investigated after Jain girl dies from 68-day fast
Indian police are investigating the parents of a 13-year-old girl who died last week after undertaking a religious fast for 68 days.
Police in southern Hyderabad city told BBC Hindi they want to know if Aradhana Samdariya was forced to fast.
Her parents have insisted she voluntarily fasted as prescribed in Jainism, one of the world's most ancient religions.
The case has sparked a debate about the practice of religious fasting in India.
Reports said Aradhana lived for 68 days on boiled water. Two days after she called off her fast last week, she was dead.
Experts believe it is possible for... read more
- 06:25 Weak sperm? Sleeping for THIS amount of time will boost semen health
- 06:25 £1m grant will help Lincoln woo more American visitors
- 06:24 Devastated parents want answers after tragic death of their baby boy
- 06:24 Car salesman wrote customer £14k cheque for two Mercedes - despite...
- 06:24 On board the sardine express - the overcrowded single carriage...
- 06:24 Harvey Weinstein scandal gives women courage to speak out
- 06:24 Ronnie O'Sullivan is good sport as fan storms snooker game and...
- 06:23 £3m rent arrears fears in South Tyneside
- 06:23 Councillors set for a battle against boundary changes
- 06:23 South Shields MP calls for rethink on Universal Credit roll-out
- 06:22 Guest column: The poor will suffer most if we don’t get a Brexit deal
- 06:21 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:21 Aston Villa news digest: Academy graduate back to prove a point;...
- 06:21 West Brom digest; Goalkeeper worries; Arsenal and Man United games...
- 06:21 Birmingham City news digest: Cotterill's emotional bond; injury...
- 06:21 The cost of dropping rubbish in Blackpool reaches £48k
- 06:21 Leeds police chase crash driver jailed
- 06:20 Barcelona news: Kylian Mbappe deal was DONE… but they chose Ousmane...
- 06:19 Devastated family want to prevent other young deaths
- 06:19 Rattling good fun heading to Hartlepool at prestige model rail show
- 06:19 Residents welcome new patio garden at Hartlepool retirement village
- 06:19 Tees Valley caution over recruiting more workers
- 06:19 Craig Harrison offers Hartlepool United injury update on Liam...
- 06:19 Hartlepool MP tells Parliament benefit reform is leaving people...
- 06:19 ‘Bin raiding’ incidents raise concern about identity theft risk in...
- 06:19 Thug jailed for assaulting girlfriend and her neighbour
- 06:19 Fans and club honour player
- 06:18 Extra cash donated to fund more CCTV
- 06:18 Upskilling the young for sustainable future
- 06:18 Olivier Giroud admits he got lucky with his wonder goal in...