India parents investigated after Jain girl dies from 68-day fast
Indian police are investigating the parents of a 13-year-old girl who died last week after undertaking a religious fast for 68 days.
Police in southern Hyderabad city told BBC Hindi they want to know if Aradhana Samdariya was forced to fast.
Her parents have insisted she voluntarily fasted as prescribed in Jainism, one of the world's most ancient religions.
The case has sparked a debate about the practice of religious fasting in India.
Reports said Aradhana lived for 68 days on boiled water. Two days after she called off her fast last week, she was dead.
Experts believe it is possible for... read more
- 00:25 Newcastle legend Alan Shearer undergoes dementia tests to assess...
- 00:25 Cheryl confirms pregnancy rumours as she cradles baby bump for...
- 00:25 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Thursday
- 00:24 Juventus midfielder Sami Khedira confident club can end 21-year...
- 00:22 Top banks' commodities revenue drops 7 percent in 2016 - survey
- 00:22 'Magical thinking' on Heathrow expansion
- 00:21 City news: Unilever, Serco, BAE Systems and Hotel Chocolat
- 00:21 Wedding Jewelry by Victoria James
- 00:21 WWE Live 2017 at Genting Arena will see Midlands wrestling stars...
- 00:20 Leeds and Sheffield universities to benefit from £126m...
- 00:18 'Room for improvement' in rail safety, 10 years on from Grayrigg
- 00:17 One fifth of UK shoppers fear Brexit may impact spending - PwC survey
- 00:17 How Peter Thiel’s company Palantir was built with CIA funding and...
- 00:17 Chimps DON'T follow the leader: Researchers find they are more...
- 00:17 Mundell: Tax rise will drive away immigration from Scotland
- 00:17 Tories back plans for new nuclear power plants in Scotland
- 00:12 Do YOU know who your rivals in the office are? Experts find most of...
- 00:12 Google taking on Uber with 'carpool' service using its Waze app
- 00:12 Hackers can steal your information simply by analyzing the LED...
- 00:12 On the 20th anniversary of Dolly's birth, researchers reveal they...
- 00:11 Banks' bond trading up in 2016 for first time since 2012 after...
- 00:06 All-important antidote to mindless Hollywood pulp
- 00:06 Time to mothball divas’ swansong opera
- 00:07 Paige Doherty's family start #NoJusticeForPaige campaign and call...
- 00:06 The veins Nafta opened in Mexico
- 00:06 Hamilton rallies against ‘outdated’ Formula One
- 00:06 Gymnastics doc accused of sex crimes
- 00:06 Laidlaw out: A massive loss
- 00:06 Tata must honour its pledge to steel workers
- 00:06 A man at the heart of battles that shaped countless lives