India mobile payments surge after shock banknote move
India's surprise move to get rid of big banknotes may have sparked a nationwide cash crunch, but it has proved a boost for mobile payment firms.
The country's largest digital wallet firm, Paytm, logged a record of over seven million transactions on Saturday.
The loss-making firm is valued at about $5bn (£4bn) and backed by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba.
Paytm claims to have 150 million users while its nearest rival MobiKwik has 35 million.
Both companies have seen a surge in new users signing up.
This comes after the move by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi earlier this month to... read more
- 10:35 Chest mounted video cameras issued to EVERY frontline North Wales...
- 10:35 Arsenal to use Alexis Sanchez to land top European midfielder
- 10:34 ‘Bedtime stories for adults’ prove online hit
- 10:33 Images of Yesteryear
- 10:33 Monte Carlo World Rally Championship 2017 kicks off - Everything...
- 10:31 Driver rescued after lorry crashes on A1
- 10:31 Police crime report for Ashfield South
- 10:31 Ex-England defender reveals how Chelsea players feel about Diego...
- 10:30 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:30 Mel Gibson returns to the silver screen in big style with WWII...
- 10:28 Sky is putting its prices up in March and this is how you can stop it
- 10:28 Transfer News: Arsenal hijack Everton, Chelsea snub to cause Leeds...
- 10:26 How Man City should line up against Tottenham
- 10:26 Tom Daley admits to ‘online sex session with fan’
- 10:25 RSPCA West Midlands: Bucky, Madge and Prince are waiting to be adopted
- 10:25 More than 200 arrested during violent protests as Donald Trump...
- 10:25 Trump’s grandchildren really didn’t enjoy the inauguration
- 10:24 Humanitarian support 'Band-Aid' for unresolved Afghanistan...
- 10:24 Thousands protest Trump as "sister marches" begin in Australia and...
- 10:24 Eight people killed in their home by shell in Egypt's Rafah
- 10:23 Girl, 5, and woman knocked to floor after collision with car in Leeds
- 10:23 Woodland paths to see £13K facelift
- 10:22 Livingston are up for the cup
- 10:22 President Trump Latest: Theresa May front of the queue as he kills...
- 10:20 Transfer News: Two Man Utd deals ruled out, Liverpool done deal,...
- 10:19 Council plans a further £34m of cuts and a council tax increase
- 10:19 Fire fighters rescue trapped casualty after three car collision on M6
- 10:19 All we want is to stay in this treehouse with a view of the...
- 10:18 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:18 Todmorden in bloom: Starting the New Year with a great garden