India court bans fireworks in Delhi after Diwali smog
India's Supreme Court has stopped the sale of firecrackers in the capital, Delhi, and directed authorities to study their "harmful effects".
Environmentalists had petitioned the court following a sharp rise in air pollution in the city, after huge quantities of fireworks were set off during Diwali celebrations in October.
Diwali is the most important Hindu festival in north India.
Delhi, with 16 million people, is one of the world's most polluted cities.
Diwali fireworks 'worsen Delhi pollution'
Diwali fireworks choke Delhi, angering Indians
Diwali in Delhi: A colourful night... read more
- 12:51 Rafael Nadal battles past Gael Monfils to set up Australian Open...
- 12:51 Crash on Bay Gateway junction
- 12:50 Pound hits one-month HIGH against dollar investors 'lose patience'...
- 12:50 How happy are people in your part of Derbyshire?
- 12:50 Shkodran Mustafi: Why I knew Arsenal would score a late winner...
- 12:49 See how many people were caught driving and using a mobile phone in...
- 12:49 Oak helps HAPPA celebrate 80th anniversary
- 12:49 Body in the canal may be from Burnley
- 12:49 GOTCHA: Russia obliterates ISIS targets in Syria as second massive...
- 12:48 Lancashire Police crackdown on mobile phone use behind the wheel
- 12:48 Lloyds cyber-attack details emerge
- 12:48 Body in the canal may be from Burnley
- 12:48 Blood donor who is scared of needles encourages people to save lives
- 12:48 Stuck for somewhere to park in Lincoln? A 200-space park and ride...
- 12:48 Rafael Nadal sets up quarter-final clash with Milos Raonic
- 12:47 Can I date a guy shorter than me? Of course! Here’s why it’s the best
- 12:47 Most German companies expect little to no impact from Brexit - poll
- 12:47 Gritters head out in Derbyshire with freezing temperatures expected...
- 12:46 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger faces FA ban for stunning comment: This...
- 12:46 Premier League odds: Chelsea nailed on favourites but which 9/1...
- 12:46 Women take to Yorkshire streets and march in worldwide protest...
- 12:45 No wonder Arsene Wenger is growing angry... Granit Xhaka was...
- 12:45 Papy Djilobodji faces four-match FA ban for violent conduct after...
- 12:45 Malaysia arrests four linked to Islamic State cell in Philippines
- 12:44 Ofsted praise nursery in Alfreton
- 12:44 Which rugby league legend has become patron of the Laura Crane...
- 12:44 Fire at former South Yorkshire school was arson
- 12:44 Boozed-up man is ordered to pay £613 after abusing police officer
- 12:44 Nuneaton man charged with manslaughter of "kind, clever and...
- 12:43 Stabbing probe after attack in early hours