'Impossible decision' for civilians as Iraqi forces bid to retake Mosul from IS
More than one million people, including hundreds of thousands of children, are facing an "impossible decision" as a huge military assault is launched in Iraq against Islamic State (IS) fighters.
Coalition forces are backing local government and Kurdish military with air strikes in an attempt to take Mosul, the country's second largest city, back from IS rule.
Safe escape routes out of the city for civilians caught up in the bloody conflict "do not exist", Save the Children has warned.
Families and children have been advised by local forces to stay inside and erect a... read more
- 10:25 February half term things to do in and around Birmingham
- 10:24 Council apologises for month's disruption in Cleethorpes ahead of...
- 10:24 2017 property crash could see house prices plunge
- 10:23 Man City's Raheem Sterling gets a raw deal from referees and FA...
- 10:23 Burst main in Louth leaves homes with no water
- 10:22 Frosty start to a mainly dry but cold day
- 10:22 HERALD WAR REPORT
- 10:22 PC Paul Briggs: Injured officer dies after wife's legal battle to...
- 10:21 Israel's Netanyahu to speak with Trump on Sunday, Iran on agenda
- 10:21 One in 13 has Type 2 diabetes, new figures show
- 10:21 Alzheimer’s Society course will help those caring for dementia...
- 10:20 One in 13 has Type 2 diabetes, new figures show
- 10:20 Alzheimer’s Society course will help those caring for dementia...
- 10:20 MP Andrew Bridgen joins fight to save Burton A&E from potential...
- 10:19 What are our most important Brexit objectives?
- 10:19 Wife of man given ‘right to die’ says she is devastated but...
- 10:19 Manchester United linked with £86m Atletico Madrid winger...
- 10:18 Geri Horner names baby boy after close pal George Michael in...
- 10:18 George Michael's ex-lover claims sex drug Liquid G played part in...
- 10:16 Breakthrough treatment for rheumatics: Common arthritis drug has...
- 10:16 Missing Sutton teen Molly found safe and well
- 10:15 Heartbreak for Leeds mum as court hears her daughter is now 3,500...
- 10:16 Cumbria's success at national field trialling championships
- 10:15 I’m still an addict, admits disgraced bank boss and Bradford...
- 10:15 MPs ‘covered up Trident failure before Commons vote’
- 10:15 Frosty start to a mainly dry but cold day
- 10:15 Renault Zoe review - price, specs, design, tech and pictures
- 10:15 Accident closes one lane of A500
- 10:15 Take a look back at life in Carrington
- 10:15 Brexit could cost the fire service almost £90,000 a year