'Impossible decision' for civilians as Iraqi forces bid to retake Mosul from IS
More than one million people, including hundreds of thousands of children, are facing an "impossible decision" as a huge military assault is launched in Iraq against Islamic State (IS) fighters.
Coalition forces are backing local government and Kurdish military with air strikes in an attempt to take Mosul, the country's second largest city, back from IS rule.
Safe escape routes out of the city for civilians caught up in the bloody conflict "do not exist", Save the Children has warned.
Families and children have been advised by local forces to stay inside and erect a... read more
- 15:33 Who is Manchester United transfer target Ivan Perisic?
- 15:33 How to buy Man City tickets: A guide on how to attend the team's...
- 15:33 Call for councils to ban sky lanterns and balloons in Lincolnshire...
- 15:32 Woman who voted for Trump upset to find her husband will be deported
- 15:32 When do the clocks go forward in 2017?
- 15:32 Choir hits right notes at UK final
- 15:30 Justice League movie TRAILER: Full explosive promo arrives in full...
- 15:30 Seamus Coleman injury: Everton boss Ronald Koeman speaks out on...
- 15:29 How to look after your mental health when you’re always on...
- 15:29 Brazil teacher changes hairstyle to support bullied girl
- 15:29 Air ambulance called after two car crash near Holmfirth
- 15:26 How Hull could soon blanket ban pavement parking
- 15:26 Hull FC player ratings and stats after win at Wigan Warriors
- 15:25 Arsene Wenger gives contract update and reveals future plans
- 15:25 EU leaders meet in Rome but growing Euroscepticism in Italy...
- 15:24 Police pounce on homes and a barge during drugs raids
- 15:22 CHOKING HAZARD: Products for teething babies recalled due to safety...
- 15:22 Don’t forget- the clocks go forward tomorrow
- 15:21 Life on the Farm column with Frances Graham
- 15:21 'I Am Still Me' - Moving photography exhibition shows people with...
- 15:20 Port Vale v MK Dons LIVE: Three changes for Vale
- 15:19 Woman injured in two-car crash in Leeds
- 15:19 Hundreds detained as Belarus struggles to quell protests
- 15:19 Two suspects under formal investigation over Paris airport attack
- 15:18 County Londonderry: Prisoner dies in custody at Magilligan Prison
- 15:18 Increase in number of people claiming out-of-work benefits
- 15:17 Thousands of Brexit protesters pay silent tribute to Westminster...
- 15:17 McDonnell urges spirit of solidarity in Labour Party
- 15:17 Corbyn urges Tories: Stop dithering and start investing
- 15:16 Exclusive - UK regulator warns on EDF oversight of Hinkley Point...