'I was bedbound and breathless - then they put a mini computer in my heart': New device can help patients who are unresponsive to standard treatments
Around a million Britons have heart failure, where the heart is unable to pump blood properly around the body.
But a new type of device can help patients who don’t respond to standard treatments.
Retired hotelier Peter Jenkins, 79, from Locks Heath near Southampton, has benefited, as he tells SOPHIE GOODCHILD.
My hobby is yacht racing, so I’ve always been fit and active. But the stress of working long hours triggered type 1 diabetes which damaged my blood vessels.
This led to four heart attacks; the first in 1991, the last in May 2012.
The fourth time, my wife Pat, 69, found... read more
- 12:23 Child car seats recalled over safety fears
- 12:23 West: No hiding at Saints after disappointing start
- 12:22 Tory MP Nick Boles reveals new cancer fight
- 12:22 Gender pay gap falls to 20-year low of 9.4%
- 12:22 Making money for Macmillan at Kirkby on Bain
- 12:22 Stanks Island revamp set for later next year
- 12:22 Harvest at Bucknall
- 12:21 Police launch appeal to find seven men in connection with trouble...
- 12:21 Alex Iwobi's nerves are holding him back in front of goal, says...
- 12:22 FA invests in new grassroots football project
- 12:21 The huge hack that took down big bits of the internet is ‘easy to...
- 12:21 John Lewis, Oliver Bonas and Very Exclusive: Accessories we want...
- 12:21 England women draw inspiration for Spain win by meeting up with...
- 12:21 You can get flights for £2 – but you have to book today
- 12:21 Nathaniel Chalobah only made his Chelsea debut this season after...
- 12:21 Child car seats recalled over safety fears
- 12:21 Northern Powerhouse 'all but cancelled' say Labour MPs
- 12:21 More trains for Hartlepool’s Christmas shoppers
- 12:20 Doncaster prositute support plan nominated for award
- 12:20 President Obama ridiculed on Snapchat by daughter Sasha
- 12:19 Multi-agency effort to tackle underage drinking in Alnwick
- 12:19 Simulating wildfires through technology
- 12:18 Prisoner goes missing
- 12:18 Wheels come off as Boxing Day pram race gets the push
- 12:18 Lancashire MP in battle against money laundering
- 12:18 Hartlepool United's season and Craig Hignett's reign in numbers
- 12:18 Under the Radar: The Blet Project
- 12:18 Charity takes on new boss
- 12:18 Book review: Autumn, by Ali Smith
- 12:18 Two men fined for fly-tipping