I've left you: Historian's break-up letter to Communist Party revealed
The bitter break-up between one of Britain's most famous left-wing academics and the Communist Party has been revealed in newly released secret files.
Documents released by the National Archives at Kew show for 20 years the historian and peace campaigner E P Thompson - best known for his ground-breaking social history The Making Of The English Working Class - was the subject of MI5 surveillance.
Professor Thompson, a long-time member of the Communist Party of Great Britain (CPGB), first came to the attention of the security service in 1943 when, as a lieutenant serving in the Army, he... read more
- 16:47 The ATM at 50: how a hole in the wall changed the world
- 16:47 Qatar facing indefinite isolation, UAE says
- 16:47 Coins thrown into plane engine by elderly passenger for 'luck'
- 16:47 Milestone for fashion firm
- 16:47 NHS training hub wins building award
- 16:47 $esc.html($content.name)
- 16:47 Residents angry as Doncaster recyling plan approved despite 'flies...
- 16:47 Little joy for pound as BoE tightens credit controls
- 16:47 Think tank voices soft-Brexit fears
- 16:47 New £130,000 soft play area comes to West Bridgford
- 16:47 Ryanair flight FR13 / RYR100T spotted circling East Midlands Airport
- 16:46 Tim Westwood, you’re my dream, can I date you and get that wax?
- 16:46 Britain's hottest new baby name revealed - and it may surprise you
- 16:46 GALLERY: Annual model show in Skegness attracts kids of all ages
- 16:45 Prosecute those who put flammable cladding on tower blocks says...
- 16:45 Girlguiding engineering badge created by Barrow shipyard trio is a hit
- 16:45 Gareth Bale performs incredible golf trick shot as Real Madrid star...
- 16:45 John McEnroe refuses to apologise to Serena Williams for rankings...
- 16:45 Thug raped vulnerable teenager in horrific ordeal at Coventry park
- 16:45 Alicia Keys photobombs selfie as dad and daughter say cheese at...
- 16:45 Closure threatened police counters cost nine times more per caller
- 16:44 Why are strawberries and cream a Wimbledon tradition?
- 16:43 Police drop probe after fox ripped apart by Atherstone Hunt's...
- 16:43 The ATM at 50: how a hole in the wall changed the world
- 16:42 Health inspectors rule first digital GP service is UNSAFE for...
- 16:42 Mother who gave birth to stillborn son after vomiting blood learns...
- 16:42 Scientists discover coffee could be the key to losing weight AND...
- 16:42 TICKS could hold the key to treating a 'time bomb' heart condition...
- 16:41 Teenager who lost a leg in Alton Towers horror crash says she is...
- 16:41 Baxi and Bravissimo staff show support for Myton Hospices event in...