'I haven't got a pension because I do not want to be the fat cat': Big Issue founder John Bird on poverty and giving to charity
John Bird, the 70-year-old founder of The Big Issue, has not got a penny saved towards retirement.
He lives in constant hope a wealthy benefactor will come along, decide he is a saint and endow him with a £1million pension.
Or, as he puts it, he is waiting for ‘a posh git with too much money and not enough sense’.
Bird launched The Big Issue in 1991 with Gordon Roddick, who was co-founder of The Body Shop.
In 1995, he was given an MBE for services to homeless people – and in 2015 he became Baron Bird of Notting Hill, a non-party-political peer.
This month, he is celebrating the 25th... read more
- 09:44 Harrogate MP Andrew Jones on new business role within government
- 09:44 Like him or not, Trump must visit
- 09:44 West Bromwich Albion star 'should stay' at Walsall - but Glasgow...
- 09:44 "He needs to play" - Aston Villa transfer target ALLOWED to leave
- 09:44 Coach Trip is back - and it wants Brummie contestants for new series
- 09:44 Here comes Fionn! Weather warning as fresh storm heads to Blackpool
- 09:42 Rapper targeted in arson attacks over 'disrespectful' songs and...
- 09:42 Two arrested after knife attack at Carlisle takeaway
- 09:41 Drink-drive offender was spotted driving through a red light
- 09:40 Seth Rollins brings back the Curbstomp, Chris Jericho to return:...
- 09:40 Court listings 16/01/18
- 09:40 UK inflation rate falls slightly
- 09:40 New Notts partnership saves fraud victims £.25m
- 09:39 Watch what Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez could bring to Manchester...
- 09:38 We pay for the FENCE! May fires back at Macron over claims UK...
- 09:38 Documentary to turn spotlight on ‘mate crime’
- 09:38 Thug threatened to bite and spit at police while claiming he was...
- 09:37 Top Kosovo Serb politician Oliver Ivanovic shot dead
- 09:37 Thief disturbed during burglary at Wellingborough house
- 09:37 Chorley Court Listings - Tuesday January 16 2018
- 09:36 Harrogate MP Andrew Jones on new business role within government
- 09:36 PTSG’s results are set to be in line with board’s expectations
- 09:36 F1 logo could land authorities in LEGAL battle over copyright issue
- 09:36 Fresh Alexis Sanchez twist: Chelsea accept Man Utd will complete deal
- 09:36 NHS will actually get more than £350,000,000 a week after Brexit,...
- 09:35 Ancient buried village discovered in Derby field
- 09:35 Manchester United stars Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Romelu Lukaku...
- 09:35 OPINION: Most fans trust Gary Rowett so much he could sign the...
- 09:35 Hundreds turn out to remember former JMU student and six-month old...
- 09:35 VIDEO: Maryport Junior School celebrates Ofsted success